• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Lift/Tire Size Recommendations

bdl220

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all…
This is my first post so please be gentle…
After about six months of researching vehicles I finally decided on a XJ; it seems to fit all my needs. I require a manual transmission due to personal preference and it literally took me three months to track down a Cherokee with a five speed but it is exactly what I wanted; black, no power window or locks as I am quite utilitarian by nature.
She is a 1999 model and currently has 30in tires and stock suspension.
I have a list of upgrades to add (headers, exhaust, ARB lockers, snorkel, etc…) but I think the first will be suspension and tires. Forgive me if you have answered this before but what can I fit under her with a 3in lift (Skyjacker)?? I have heard that 33-10-50s are the norm but I would like some 33s and don’t care about cutting metal (fenders). Is it possible to fit 33s on a 3in lift with cut fenders?? I have 30s now on stock and have no problem…
Also since she is a 5 speed she has 3.07 gears. Should I change them?? She is quite responsive on the street and I have had NO problems off-road. I am currently getting close to 280 miles per tank of petrol with the 30s and she is in desperate need of a tune-up so she should get 300+ per tank.
Any advice is greatly appreciated as I only want to do ONE suspension upgrade.
Thanks.

okay 33s on a 3" lift is going to rub a lot. My buddy has that setup and rubs when he takes sharp turns up hills. If you want to run 33's look into geting 4.5-6" of lift.

I suggest you do the tune up yourself it is fairly simple.

To gear properly I am assuming the 3.07 gears are for the differentials, depends on your tire size and that affects the gear ratio. Tell us more about how much lift/tires and how much you are willing to spend....Money solves all problems in lift and tires department.

Thanks for the reply and advice; getting info on this project seems to be like pulling teeth which seems quite strange since there are so many Cherokees out there…
On your buddy’s rig is the rubbing caused by the width or height of the tire?
I don’t mind spending money on a higher lift but I don’t want to throw it away either…
Going with a 6in lift (I have settled on the Skyjacker brand based on their reputation) more than DOUBLES the cost of the lift for only (if I have done my math correctly) 2 additional inches of axle clearance. This just doesn’t seem effective for cost/performance ratio.
If the tire is to tall it would seem that cutting (the hell out of) the fender would solve the problem.
Thanks again.

I'd take a look at the Rubicon Express 3.5 inch kit. I would only run 31's or 32's with that kit, unless you want to do a lot of trimming and some bumpstops.

By being a utilitarian by nature I don’t mind cutting metal at all.
What does it mean “bump stops”?
I have chosen the Skyjacker brand for the lift because of its well earned reputation and the fact that it does ride better than stock suspension (a friend of mine has it) but nothing is set in stone until I plunk down the cash.
I think what I’m getting at is that I want the most clearance for the $$$.
I’ll cut the bleeding fenders off if I have to to avoid replacing any other suspension parts unnecessarily.
Has anyone out there gone this route?
Thanks…

Yep I’ve been the whole route 3” Rancho, added 1” spacers, moved up to RE 4.5”, now I’m at 6” with spacers, (don't forget removing the fenders still leaves ya with wheel well's and that's a whole nother issue).

I wouldn’t do a Skyjacker kit, my kid ran one and the dam thing was always wearing out, (of course he is hard on his stuff).

I ran Super Swamper 31x10.50 SSR tires with my 3” lift and that’s about all ya get out of it even cutting fenders.

I stuffed Super Swamper 33x13.50 LTB’s in with my 4.5” RE and cut fenders with minor rubbing, (oh yea I like my RE lift and look at Rough Country too).

Now I running Super Swamper 35x13.50 TrXus MT's with my 4.5” RE, 1-1/2" spacer and cut fenders.

Bump Stops – if ya get rubbing under full compression you’ll need to get longer bump stops – They’re cheep, Daystar for like $30.

All tires are not created equal a 33” tire in one brand is not the same size in another, (Swamper’s run big, BFG & Goodyear are near listed size), make sure of the OD before you buy.

If it where me I’d just go with a 5.5” to 6.5” lift to start with and save yourself the hassle and cost of doing it all again later.

Last edited:
yeah go 5.5", get an AA SYE with CV driveshaft, new brake lines, and some 33-34's, and also consider doing a different axle in the rear. If ya have the money do it now b/c once that is out of the way, you can get your bumpers, rails, tire carrier...etc

Man, you should really just hang out here on the boards for about a month or so before you go getting lift kits and and ARB lockers. You will find that there's alot of info on this website. There's also a search function you can use to find all the info you desire. I say that because every question you have has been asked a hundred times before. Skyjacker? :puke:

Last edited:
hand down the best lift kit you can get for a jeep IMHO is rubicon express. you will not be disappointed. their product lasts. it is no coincedence that most people here are running rubicon express. quality quality quality.

that being said. if you want to run 33" tires, you are going to need to run at least 4.5" lift. I would highly recomend the RE 5.5" hd lift with the drop brackets and braces. very very good lift kit. if you want to pony up the extra dough, the long arm kit is an elite upgrade.

with that lift kit, you can easily run 35" tires with minimal cutting. 33" tires would require hardly no cutting. that is my set up, but i am going to 35" tires soon.

as for the 3.07's and a five speed. i ran that for the first year i had my jeep. i would not run that combo with anything over a 31" tire as power will be next to nothing, and gas mileage is going to suck.

as for gas mileage.....start lifting/tires/etc....kiss it goodbye. but then again, we do not build our jeeps to get good gas mileage now do we.

you just have to ask yourself what you want out of your jeep, and build accordingly. and we have all said that we will pick a kit and stick with it. but trust me, you will always want to go bigger.

ps...you will need a slip yoke elimanator and a cv drive shaft. very important as to longevity of your vehicle and correcting vibes created by the lift kit.

Back