• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BUILD: My 1987 "Wagoneer" XJ Limited

Definitely subscribing to this thread, very impressive restoration so far!
What is the correct part number for the rear license overlay for an '87? I've been hunting for one for my '87 and my research shows 55013411.

Correct part number... What condition of the Overlay are you looking for?

Correct part number... What condition of the Overlay are you looking for?

Doesn't have to be NOS/perfect. I need whatever attaches it to the holes in the tail gate as well. The two holes are circled in green below.
854abac60c94896cc6ccec01e770a79b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't still have this do you?

Not the one pictured... But another NOS. How do I infer without being insulting... Mine might be a bit pricey for your need. I'm thinking you might try: http://jwjeep.com/ for a previously-owned one if it's just to be used as a cover. Respectfully.

Crist, I would like to know the value of the NOS console.

Have you found more than one?

As for consoles... I only know of the one I purchased. Value is determined on the old supply/demand thing. I purchased mine on eBay. Often on eBay there will be NOS console piece-parts such as the base, insert, latch, and arm-pad. If you add-up all the piece-parts... A complete console may be a better deal.

Re: NOS Stuff

Fall is nearing and I hope to re-start this project soon. In the meantime... I have collected two additional NOS parts:

Center-floor-console:
XJ%20Console%202_zpshi6y0sib.jpg

Rear-cargo-cover:
XJ%20Cargo%20Cover_zps6582dfxw.jpg

Hi. I have a 96 Country and I also have all the hardware to mount my OEM cargo cover. The problem is I need a diagram on how to mount the hardware. I see in your photo your OEM cargo cover has a set of instructions. Would it be possible for you to scan them and email them to me? I would really appreciate it.

Hi. I have a 96 Country and I also have all the hardware to mount my OEM cargo cover. The problem is I need a diagram on how to mount the hardware. I see in your photo your OEM cargo cover has a set of instructions. Would it be possible for you to scan them and email them to me? I would really appreciate it.

When I can find it... I sure will!

Not the one pictured... But another NOS. How do I infer without being insulting... Mine might be a bit pricey for your need. I'm thinking you might try: http://jwjeep.com/ for a previously-owned one if it's just to be used as a cover. Respectfully.

I checked with them and they don't have any at the moment. PM me your price for the NOS one, I'm also looking for tan leather front seat material, not sure if you may have that as well.

When I can find it... I sure will!

Thanks, I would greatly appreciate it. If you find it, my email is:

krol at bellsouth dot net

I am slowly restoring my 96 Country and have done many things to it over the ten years I have owned it. In addition to the cargo cover I have an OEM spare tire carrier that I want to eventually mount. I just recovered the headliner and recently took all the carpeting out, repaired any rust, pressure washed the original carpeting and installed new panels in the cargo area. I found an original Jeep, in dash CD player to replace the stock cassette player. That's just a small list. I hope to eventually find the body graphics for when I repaint it. It's not a perfect, like new resto but it looks pretty good to me.

I'd send a few photos but I don't know how to post them here.

Here in Jacksonville there's a guy selling a 87 Wagoneer XJ for $1500.00. It's a 4x4 and it runs. Crappy photos show it to be in fairly decent shape. I'll try to post a link if I can find it again.

Thanks, I would greatly appreciate it. If you find it, my email is:

krol at bellsouth dot net

I am slowly restoring my 96 Country and have done many things to it over the ten years I have owned it. In addition to the cargo cover I have an OEM spare tire carrier that I want to eventually mount. I just recovered the headliner and recently took all the carpeting out, repaired any rust, pressure washed the original carpeting and installed new panels in the cargo area. I found an original Jeep, in dash CD player to replace the stock cassette player. That's just a small list. I hope to eventually find the body graphics for when I repaint it. It's not a perfect, like new resto but it looks pretty good to me.

I'd send a few photos but I don't know how to post them here.

I'll post the Cargo-cover instructions here in case others are interested.

PNG_000004_zpszyilcije.png

PNG_000005_zpssj2dmowe.png

I checked with them and they don't have any at the moment. PM me your price for the NOS one, I'm also looking for tan leather front seat material, not sure if you may have that as well.

For NOS materials try: https://originalauto.com/

I'll post the Cargo-cover instructions here in case others are interested.

PNG_000004_zpszyilcije.png

PNG_000005_zpssj2dmowe.png

Thanks for posting the instructions. However Jeep completely changed the mounts for the later XJ's. Wasn't expecting that. I'll have to look closer at the instructions to see if I can use the mount placement image that hold the cross bar behind the seat. The mounts near the lift gate are totally different in shape and mount placement. I appreciate your taking the time to do it.

Last edited:
Rear Bumper-guard(s) Do-over

Not all bumper-guards are created equal. And by-the-way... Neither are bumpers! Although I didn't document it... I purchased/returned many rear-bumpers before I got one to match/fit. Apparently, the rear-bumper of a Wagoneer-XJ is different than a Cherokee-XJ.

I also purchased/returned many after-market rear bumper-guards... None fit well... Gave-up and compromised.... Until now.

Note: I was only able to find NOS of the right-rear bumper-guard… As a result… The search for after-market.

I went back to where I purchased the only rear bumper that fit... Lo-and-behold… They sell left and right bumper-guards just like the parts catalog shows. Pooh on the one-size-fits-all. Below documents the journey.

RockAuto%20Order%20Confirmation%20for%20Order%20143957351_zpsoxj5pyk9.png

RockAuto%20Order%20Confirmation%20for%20Order%20693222471_zps67swsdu4.png

Slide2_zpsukapd6u5.png

Slide1_zpsktcgh8do.png

Slide3_zps0vxuwxnw.png

Last edited:
I would have fixed the gap with duct tape, or Pucky, LOL. My next task is roof rust that is getting out of control on my Waggy :(

Re: Rear Bumper-guard(s) Do-over

Not all bumper-guards are created equal. And by-the-way... Neither are bumpers! Although I didn't document it... I purchased/returned many rear-bumpers before I got one to match/fit. Apparently, the rear-bumper of a Wagoneer-XJ is different than a Cherokee-XJ.

I also purchased/returned many after-market rear bumper-guards... None fit well... Gave-up and compromised.... Until now.

Note: I was only able to find NOS of the right-rear bumper-guard… As a result… The search for after-market.

I went back to where I purchased the only rear bumper that fit... Lo-and-behold… They sell left and right bumper-guards just like the parts catalog shows. Pooh on the one-size-fits-all. Below documents the journey.

Appreciate the effort your putting in. Love this thread!

If you run across the three OEM roof guards that are mounted on the roof between the roof luggage rails, I need a set with the fittings fast.

My roof is rusting, and the bolt holes there started leaking
:(
So I need to replace them, sand and paint the roof fast.

Carpet Installation

ACC Essex Carpet.

At first... I couldn't distinguish between the folds, creases, crevices, or contours! It seems there is a lot of excess carpet around the edges. Not a bad thing! But a lesson-learned shared.

Will need to remove the side-panels and do some trimming.

IMG_0978_zpsiangxqlv.jpg

Last edited:
Couple Qs:

1-How much work is it to pull out the entire carpet set? Any idea on hours?
2-Whats the process for removing the steel sliders on the cargo carpet?

Trying to restore an xj as well. Keep up the good work.

Back