• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ No start. Getting code P1694

cbwymore

NAXJA Forum User
My wife was driving our 2000 XJ yesterday when it lost power and stopped running. It cranks but won't start. All electrical works but the gages and the excelerator pedal is about half way down.

I pulled the codes and got P1694, "Fault In Companion Module
No CCD/J1850 messages received from the powertrain control module-Asian transmission." The digital odometer is also displaying "No Bus"

I tried starting in N and 1/2 between N and P still no start. Fuses all look good.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
This comes from Mitchell manuals on-line.

"DTC P1694 will set if no CCd bus messages are received from PCM for 20 seconds or invalid messages are received for 20 seconds.

Possible Causes
CCD Bus (-) circuit open between PCM and TCM.
CCD Bus (+) circuit open between PCM and TCM.
Transmission CCD bus wiring damaged.
Faulty TCM.

Diagnostic Procedure
1. Using scan tool, clear TCM DTCs. Start engine and let idle for at least 2 minutes. Using scan tool, retrieve TCM DTCs. If DTC P1694 returns, go to next step. If DTC P1694 does not return, go to step 5.

2. Check instrument cluster gauges for proper operation. If fuel gauge and speedometer operate properly, go to next step. If fuel gauge and speedometer do not operate properly, see appropriate INSTRUMENT PANELS article.

3. Turn ignition off. Disconnect Gray PCM harness connector. PCM is located at left front of engine compartment. Disconnect TCM harness connector. Measure resistance of CCD BUS (-) circuit (White/Black wire) between TCM harness connector and Gray PCM harness connector. If resistance is more than 5 ohms, repair open in CCd BUS (-) circuit (White/Black wire). If resistance is 5 ohms or less, go to next step.

4. Measure resistance of CCD BUS (+) circuit (Violet/Brown wire) between TCM harness connector and Gray PCM harness connector. If resistance is more than 5 ohms, repair open in CCd BUS (+) circuit (Violet/Brown wire). If resistance is 5 ohms or less, replace TCM.

5. Conditions necessary to set DTC P1694 are currently not present. Inspect related wiring and harness connectors. See WIRING DIAGRAMS. Repair as necessary. If no problem is found, check for broken, bent, backed-out or corroded terminal pins. Check for chafed, pierced or partially broken wires inside insulation. Repair as necessary.

It's probably your CPS.

I had this happen last year on my 99XJ. The cluster wouldn't work and the odometer said no bus.

What happened is that the CPS shorted. This caused the engine computer to shut itself off(i.e. it has short protection circuitry)

Disconnect your crankshaft position sensor then put the ignition key in the on position.
If the instrument cluster starts to work, once the CPS is disconnected, then you know it is shorted. You can verify this by checking with an ohmeter.
Replace the CPS and it should be fine.

MAP

Thanks! I disconnect the CPS and the gages work now! How do I test it. Haynes manual says to check continuity between B and C there is 3 terminals and none are marked.

Thanks again!

The CPS is shorted. On a good CPS, none of the pins should be shorted. Just test between any 2 terminals, I can almost guarantee 2 of those pins are shorted. You need to replace the CPS.

MAP

This thread helped me with my daughters 97 XJ, shorted Crankshaft sensor, shut down the PCM. The main clue is that none of the gauges work, no fuel no voltage, no workie!
This sensor has a long history in the 4.0L engine. Prior to 96 it was a connection problem getting the low voltage signal into the PCM. It's just a induction coil, does not go bad, it's the tin plated connector. Wiping the contacts clean every year of so keeps it working (as well as replacing the unit). On my 90 XJ I replace the connector with gold plated pins & sockets like on computer equipment no more problems...
Interesting the Chrysler added an Amplifier to the Crankshaft sensor that can short out and kill and engine instead of spending less $$ on gold plated connections.

Progress! Dave D.

Thanks God for this post!

Drove to work yesterday and all was fine...came out to head home and the 99 wouldn't start...noticed the gauges did not work ...everything else was fine...doorlocks, lights, powerseats etc....

myself and 3 others worked on it for 2 hrs....pulled every fuse/ connection we could fine....Was absolutly stumped!

got home and got on the net....man I love that advance search option!

checked the CPS...just like yours...disconnect the CPS and gauges work fine....replace CPS....started on first try!

YOU GOT TO LOVE THIS PLACE!

Thanks again!

99 JEEP CHER CLASSIC WAS RUNNING AND THEN NO START. BOUGHT A CEN TEC SCANNER FROM HARBOR FREIGHT. ORIGINAL PRICE OF 99722 WAS $160, ON SALE FOR $90, WITH NRA HARBOR FREIGHT COUPON THE FINAL PRICE WAS $72. CAME WITH EVERYTHING INCLUDED.

ANYWAY, HAD CODE P1694. NEVER USED THIS SITE BEFORE. CHANGED CPS AND THAT WAS THE PROBLEM. I BOUGHT THE CPS FROM NAPA AND I DID THINK $85 WAS EXPENSIVE FOR THIS. YES, MY GAUGES WENT DEAD AS DID THE ENGINE STARTING. IT WOULD TURN OVER. AS SOON AS I UNPLUGED THE CPS THE GUAGES WORKED AND AUTO STARTED AS SOON AS I PLUGED IN THE NEW CPS.

JUST SIGNED UP. THANK YOU FOR A GREAT SITE AND THE VALUABLE INFORMATION.:read:

Welcome to NAXJA!

Glad you got yours fixed.

FYI, using all CAPS is like shouting, and it makes your post hard to read.

This comes from Mitchell manuals on-line.

"DTC P1694 will set if no CCd bus messages are received from PCM for 20 seconds or invalid messages are received for 20 seconds.

Possible Causes
CCD Bus (-) circuit open between PCM and TCM.
CCD Bus (+) circuit open between PCM and TCM.
Transmission CCD bus wiring damaged.
Faulty TCM.

Diagnostic Procedure
1. Using scan tool, clear TCM DTCs. Start engine and let idle for at least 2 minutes. Using scan tool, retrieve TCM DTCs. If DTC P1694 returns, go to next step. If DTC P1694 does not return, go to step 5.

2. Check instrument cluster gauges for proper operation. If fuel gauge and speedometer operate properly, go to next step. If fuel gauge and speedometer do not operate properly, see appropriate INSTRUMENT PANELS article.

3. Turn ignition off. Disconnect Gray PCM harness connector. PCM is located at left front of engine compartment. Disconnect TCM harness connector. Measure resistance of CCD BUS (-) circuit (White/Black wire) between TCM harness connector and Gray PCM harness connector. If resistance is more than 5 ohms, repair open in CCd BUS (-) circuit (White/Black wire). If resistance is 5 ohms or less, go to next step.

4. Measure resistance of CCD BUS (+) circuit (Violet/Brown wire) between TCM harness connector and Gray PCM harness connector. If resistance is more than 5 ohms, repair open in CCd BUS (+) circuit (Violet/Brown wire). If resistance is 5 ohms or less, replace TCM.

5. Conditions necessary to set DTC P1694 are currently not present. Inspect related wiring and harness connectors. See WIRING DIAGRAMS. Repair as necessary. If no problem is found, check for broken, bent, backed-out or corroded terminal pins. Check for chafed, pierced or partially broken wires inside insulation. Repair as necessary.
help i have the same problem i did all this and found nothing what should i do now. :banghead:please help

here's the thing the motor will die and will start u after a bit and run fine and no code pops up one time it did and i got the code P1694

Depending on the year, the terminology changes--CPS/CKP is the speed sensor aka crank sensor.

For some years the synch sensor in the distributor is also called the CPS or CMP.

o ok 2000 4.0 i change the cps or ckp. yea i know cam one i put a new one in last month

did you have issues before the CPS replacement?

also, just because you replaced it does not mean it's good. Their business model allows for a certain number of defects to be returned as a cost of business. It's cheaper to replace a few bad ones than it is to do proper QC at the factory.

Back