• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to correct miles on replacement cluster:

That is awesome. Thanks.

I will have to watch that again, more carefully, to make sure I follow everything, but I am super excited. I just bought a 98 with the idiot cluster. Can't stand not having temp, oil pressure and tach. There is a parts 1998 in town and I will work on getting the cluster if it is the full cluster. Thanks.

Thanks.

Did I say thanks?

That is awesome. Thanks.

I will have to watch that again, more carefully, to make sure I follow everything, but I am super excited. I just bought a 98 with the idiot cluster. Can't stand not having temp, oil pressure and tach. There is a parts 1998 in town and I will work on getting the cluster if it is the full cluster. Thanks.

Thanks.

Did I say thanks?

Ha not problem.

FYI full clusters are very common and easy to find, should be easy enough to buy one and get it shipped to you as well.

In your case if you felt comfortable soldering you could remove the eeprom from your old cluster and solder it into your new cluster.

I'd appreciate a subscription on youtube if you found it useful, youtube change the rules recently so it hurts smaller producers like me who don't have episodic channels and get more viewership from "how to" videos.

I watched the video again. Carefully this time. I am even more impressed. Creating a well-edited, well-filmed technical video is no small task and that one was excellent.

Almost all my questions were answered. I'm going to think a bit whether to buy a programer and the other assorted gear or whether I'll just desolder the eeprom. I'm fairly decent desoldering and soldering electronics.

I think I can handle all of it only one mystery remains -- how to disassemble the dash. Not smart enough to figure that out yet -- though I haven't tried. Have FSM coming and can probably find it there.

By the way, my local junk yard would not sell me a cluster last week as the guy insisted that it would not work to upgrade my idiot lights and that I'd just bring it back. I may call them back and promise I won't return it (assuming their price is decent).

H
In your case if you felt comfortable soldering you could remove the eeprom from your old cluster and solder it into your new cluster.

Ok, about to embark on this project. I have a replacement full cluster. I am considering switching the eeprom. However, to desolder and solder I'd rather work from the other side of the board.

If I remove the clear plastic, can I pull the indicator-pointers from the shafts and pull the trip reset button, and then separate the gauge display from the PCB? I'm guessing it will all come apart, but do you know?

https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1098819

Looks like you're doing the same method as Alexia from years past?

Also you're incorrect in your assessment that the 97-01 clusters are the same, the pin-out changed over the years.

You also have some corruption in the mileage section of the EEPROM in your video.
zQ_w-vMpHA3LSVnOd4qr-8jBFLFot3u3ACwgly4iJ8WETNylgYZAaTuOrCQTBHfOnlaozQCAgZuJIiMMBBz8lrtt3hSFTDE0wjn_YSTV6Ug6f8XEpARy_xQt4Ha2QwC2oPA_JS_fkxk=w1200

Back