• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX15 and NP231

forrest831

NAXJA Forum User
So I pulled an AX15 4WD out of a pick-n-pull last week, but the NP231 was gone already. If the output gear and rear housing are all the same for the AX15, what kind of NP231 do I need? I have seen very conflicting information. My best guess based on my research is I need a short input gear NP231. Is that correct? I’ve read the Novak chart, but have read about 23 spline short input shafts in an AW4 NP231 too. Calgon take me away!!!
The only way I will know for sure is if I can find another AX15/NP231 in a junk yard but it took months to find the first one!
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
-Kevin

Seems like 4cyl vs 6cyl t.case have different input spline count out spline are the same.

Wouldn’t you just need any 23 spline NP231? Check a Chevy s10 since I think those had the same transfer case or some other ones. You can research the 6 pinion planetary gear to get a list of other vehicles with the NP231.

I've got that setup on my '93. Any way to check externally? I do need to swap the clutch out so probably will have them pulled in the near future...

Wouldn’t you just need any 23 spline NP231? Check a Chevy s10 since I think those had the same transfer case or some other ones. You can research the 6 pinion planetary gear to get a list of other vehicles with the NP231.

Well, that's the rub. Sticking with Jeep, he needs a short input 23-spline that was behind an AX15. A 23-spline from behind an AW4 would have the long snout and might bottom out when bolted up. Other vehicles might have 23-spline but the wrong snout length or be clocked differently (YJs I think).

https://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/np-nvg-input-gears/

I've got that setup on my '93. Any way to check externally? I do need to swap the clutch out so probably will have them pulled in the near future...

When you get to it, please take a picture with a ruler! It would be nice to know for sure what I'm looking for even if I need to purchase a new input gear.
Until then, I will keep looking for an AX15 that is still bolted to a NP231. There's one at the pick and throw in Rocklin, but that's a long drive to find that someone has already snatched it!
Thanks! -Kevin

For sure. I saw the pick n pulls in moss landing and salinas had one earlier this year. I'm from the Monterey area. Also the 90's dakotas sometimes had the ax15 in them? Might be worth a search for those too locally. Cheers. Alex

For sure. I saw the pick n pulls in moss landing and salinas had one earlier this year. I'm from the Monterey area. Also the 90's dakotas sometimes had the ax15 in them? Might be worth a search for those too locally. Cheers. Alex

When you get to it, please take a picture with a ruler! It would be nice to know for sure what I'm looking for even if I need to purchase a new input gear.
Until then, I will keep looking for an AX15 that is still bolted to a NP231. There's one at the pick and throw in Rocklin, but that's a long drive to find that someone has already snatched it!
Thanks! -Kevin

Hey this Dakota is at the moss landing pick n pull. The 5 speed listed for it in pretty sure would be an ax15 being the only manual dodge would put in the v8 dakotas. Might be worth a look. https://www.picknpull.com/vehicle_details.aspx?VIN=1B7GL23Y3PS156258

Back