• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Member 93 XJ Help Needed

bmanis

NAXJA Forum User
Greetings all. I bought a 93 XJ 2WD Auto a few months ago and have enjoyed reading this forum since jumping into the Jeep world.

I've noticed the past couple of months that if I stop at a stop sign at the base of a steep hill, the jeep struggles to have the power to get up it.

Today, if I stopped at any incline, then start up it, it acts as if the jeep jumps put of gear or something and will not advance. Even if I shift down, no change. I had to shift to park, turn off then restart the engine, then proceed in 3 to get up the hill. It runs flawless on level grades.

The tranny fluid level is full and color is light pink.

Can't be a clogged convertor since it hasn't had one since I've owned it.

Possible IAC valve?

Any ideas???

Thanks in advance

With some basic search terms in Google you can locate the AW-4 Transmission Diagnostics and Service Manual. Follow the diagnostic and testing procedures.

Some Cherokee owners report shifting issues when using ATF instead of the recommended Dexron-III/Mercon fluid.

Likely suspects are the transmission shift solenoids, Transmission Control Unit, the Throttle Position Sensor, or their wires/wire plugs. Inspect and test them first.

Last edited:
Issues have multiplied now. It will sometimes shift into gear, and sometimes it will not. If I shift into reverse and it actually goes into reverse, then shift into a forward gear, it will at some point lose that gear and then won't actually engage reverse the next time I attempt it. I have to put in park, turn the jeep off, then back on and then back to reverse successfully.

I put another transmission in the XJ. It runs great now if I shift manually. However, ITF I start in D, it seems to start in 2nd or 3rd gear. Not 1st. I tested the harness to my TCU and I'm getting battery power on pin D14, but not getting power from the ignition on D16. I can't find a fuse that would be protecting that in order to test either. Any suggestions?

I put another transmission in the XJ. It runs great now if I shift manually. However, ITF I start in D, it seems to start in 2nd or 3rd gear. Not 1st. I tested the harness to my TCU and I'm getting battery power on pin D14, but not getting power from the ignition on D16. I can't find a fuse that would be protecting that in order to test either. Any suggestions?

Not sure what was the last year of this stupidity, but the older Jeeps had a fuse in the wiring harness near the TCU.
TCU-fuse.jpg

Back