• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

blinker to hazard lights

shimmy

NAXJA Forum User
sometimes when i turn on the left turn signal, both rear tailight signals flash like hazard lights... do i need a new blinker or could it be something else?

brandon

Sounds like an electrical/ earthing problem to me: the hazard & indicator relays are separate units, so you must be getting a crossed wire or something. Good luck.

Maybe low blinker fluid?????

hinkley

PS check flasher unit, might be bad and shorting out inside.

:D

shimmy said:
crossed wires would suck arse! i'll replace the blinker unit and see what happens...

Some cars use a common relay for the indicators and hazard lights, only pulsing one side or the other for indicators but both sides for hazards. I don't know if the XJ uses this setup or not, but in some cases it can be a sticking relay. If this is the case, you might want to check if the flasher relay is good or not.

Hey shimmy, did replacing the blinker unit solve your problem?? I have the same problem on my '98 XJ. Any info about what you did to correct this would be great! Thanks!

casm said:
Some cars use a common relay for the indicators and hazard lights, only pulsing one side or the other for indicators but both sides for hazards. I don't know if the XJ uses this setup or not, but in some cases it can be a sticking relay. If this is the case, you might want to check if the flasher relay is good or not.

My 96 XJ has a dual flasher as you discribe.

JoBo

very rare occurence but if the filaments in a bulb are touching making contact current will feedback throught the wire and light the other side. The fronts won't be affected by ther ears because of the stop light switch.

Also if there is a short circuit in the turn signal switch it could effect the stop lights.

Tom

Damnit, our 99 is having the same problem, and I saw a 2001 doing it as well.

Anybody ever track this issue down? Please tell me I don't have to go digging through the airbag to get to the turn signal mechanism......

Oh, one thing I did notice: If I just move the turn lever far enough to begin the blink, it doesn't flash the hazards. As soon as it "clicks" into the turn position, the hazards come on.

Weird.

My 99 did it about a month ago, 1 block after i pulled off the lot from purchasing it. Turn signal switch was bad, and a new one did the trick.

99XJSPORT06 said:
My 99 did it about a month ago, 1 block after i pulled off the lot from purchasing it. Turn signal switch was bad, and a new one did the trick.

Do you have to remove the steering wheel to change the switch?

Honestly I can't tell you. This was my first freebie fix from carmax. I remember he traced wires first, looking for obvious splices, shorts, and frays, and then found the bad switch. I would imagine so, just to make things alot easier to get to. maybe not the whole wheel, but the plastic square part between it and the dash?

Sorry I can't be of more help, as I didn't do the work my self.

On another note, I saw a 2000 doing the same thing on my way to pick up my jeep yesterday,

Yes, the steering wheel needs to be removed to replace the turn signal switch, which means the air bag also and the wires need to be fished down through the column. It a PITA.
Tom

Back