• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Beginning of 1993 Cheromanche build

Looks like he lost interest, last post is 2 years ago.

Sad to see it - it's an idea that really seems to have merit.

He didn't lose interest the last post was oct. 10th of this year.

Post subject: Re: MJ/2dr xj shortbox. code name payote
Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:51 pm

He didn't lose interest the last post was oct. 10th of this year.

Post subject: Re: MJ/2dr xj shortbox. code name payote
Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:51 pm

Right, but in his words:

tazjeeper said:
well as things go around here I have an other yj 360 swap to do.. but on a good note i bought a tj, 74 wagyy and a cj... oh and a yj
so this project is on hold till the customers yj is done..

So it's stalled, but he'll pick it back up. No worries.

so... what's going on with this build?

Been home for a week and a half now and been sick most of the time I've been back. Posted a thread in the SEC but after over 50 views not a single person posted willing to help with any fab work. Trying to get in touch with watrousmark to see if i can get his welder again to get back to work on it. Been doing other things like getting rid of some of the rust on it and getting it primed up and stuff.

I know how ya feel. I've been sick for about the same amount of time. It's no fun.

IMGA0246.jpg

IMGA0245.jpg

There's a couple of pics of something i'm having a hard time wrapping my head around. I've got the frame's, roof, and floor lined up but having a hard time figuring out how I'm going to line up the rockers. Both the drivers and passenger side are like that as in the need to move out and down 1/2" to line up to weld them together. The only thing I've been able to think of so far for it is to order new rockers from rockauto then cut a couple of ~10" sections from it then cut these back and weld them in. If anyone's got an idea of how to get them lined up I'm all ears as this is the only major thing holding me up on hopefully finishing the project.

- Flanging tool (check eastwood.com).

- sheet metal.

- router bits and router.

- various peices of hard wood and angle iron to make a impromptu brake in your vise.

- mount the doors for your reference points.

What to do with the above should be apparent and is left as an exercise for the student.

Don't waste your money buying panels that you are going to have to cut up anyway.

- mount the doors for your reference points.
I think he's using custom sized back doors.

OP - You cut the two vehicles at different points( front of the front door openings/center of the rear door openings ) the problem is, most "straight" panels on a car are not truly straight, they have a slight crown or dish in the center.
Based on the pics, I'd probably try to separate the weld where the floor hits the rockers, tweak them so they line up, fill in the rocker panel,(probably have to tweak the width too) then finally re-attach the floor pinch seam.

Looks like the vehicle sections are not truly parallel, remount the doors (any doors) so you have straight edges to line the back half up with.

I think he's using custom sized back doors.

Yep, but he needs to get the forward reference at the door to make it line up. He needs to remount the rear doors to get the geometry right. Even if he sections a set of rear doors to make it fit in the new hole... now would be a good time to look at what cuts are required to make the new doors.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=245050844&postcount=89

These Jeeps are not slab sided. There is a very slight taper from the back to the front. He needs to deal with that as the section at the front door opening is slightly wider and shaped differently compared the the rear door opening.

Here's how it sits in my driveway right now. Man working outside in winter sucks, temps in mid 30's for the highs this week and getting dark by 5 only leaves a half hour of daylight during the weekdays to work.

IMGA0249.jpg

Here's the new seats that I'm going to be throwing inside of it, they came from a 98+ durango. Power drivers seat rear bench with fold down console, and seats tilt forward for access behind them (could be a good replacement for stock comanches to add comfort and functionality. Will have to custom make mounts but the fronts mount kind of like the 97+ seats do on the little raised bar in the front.
IMGA0254.jpg

IMGA0256.jpg

Think I've figured out what I'm going to do for the rockers. Planning on cutting them free from the floor then to move them down cut a slit from the bottom up at the back where it's almost in the back jam. That should allow me to take a sliver out and bend it down while keeping the opening pretty close to the same. Then to spread them out the inside is pretty close so i think I'm going to cut a slit along the top of the rocker back to about the same point as the first cut then spread the outside part out to line it up. Then use some sheet to make a patch to fill it in as all that will be under the black plastic piece that is in the bottom of the door openings.

lol, It's rough on someone that's not used to it. The high here was 32* and the low was 12* today. I thought I was going to turn into a Popsicle on my lunch break in the smoking area outside.

I saw about 6" of snow last year up in the foothills in SC about 30 miles from the SC/NC border. That's the most snow I've ever seen.
Your missing out. Should take a trip up to my neck of the woods and we can do some winter wheeling. Nothing like blazing through the trails in four to five foot of the white great stuff.:wave1:

Back