• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

external fuel pump

herreraxto

NAXJA Forum User
Today I was reading some magazine of 4x4 and fund an article about a external fuel pump, my concern is, this really work any one tried before or any comment on this, recently there’s some noise coming from my fuel pump and need to replace it but if this really work I can go with the external pump which is about the same price and more easy to install

this is the link

http://store.summitracing.com/defau...earch&Ntt=carter+electric+fuel+pump&x=15&y=11

The way it was explained to me was that with the pressures involved it is much easier on the pump to push the fuel from the tank directly, as in 'pump in the tank' then for the pump to not only pull the fuel out but push it as well.
Kind of the same issue with my fresh water here at the house.
I have a well here, ~450ft deep, they do not make a well pump that I could put in the basement so the pump w/electric motor is at the bottom of the well and pushes or for a better term, screws the water up the pipe. That one, like the XJ, is a PIA to replace too, had to do it once, dead of winter with 3ft of snow on the ground, thats why I spent the extra money on the best pump I could find, $3000 vs $900, sometimes it pays for stuff like that..

Mopar perf has been using an external pump on their 4.2L FI kits for years. I sold my kit but as far as I know, the original pump is still going strong. I think I bought it in 97. In talking with some companines that do aftermarket fi, they do have some opinions on aftermarket pumps. Mostly to stay away from the cheap ones. I have been using AC Delco EP286 for a while with one failure. This is the same pump in a ford Tempo. Ford uses alot of "puller" type pumps mounted on the frame rail.

HTH.

flexj said:
Mopar perf has been using an external pump on their 4.2L FI kits for years. I sold my kit but as far as I know, the original pump is still going strong. I think I bought it in 97. In talking with some companines that do aftermarket fi, they do have some opinions on aftermarket pumps. Mostly to stay away from the cheap ones. I have been using AC Delco EP286 for a while with one failure. This is the same pump in a ford Tempo. Ford uses alot of "puller" type pumps mounted on the frame rail.

HTH.

Yea, I noticed that in the kit, but if they had added an intank pump and a new tank it would have driven the price up a few hundred and taken it from a 3 hour to an 8 hour install. I too would prefer an external pump. Only in Jeeps have I ever had to take a tank down, my 69 needed a new one and the YJ needed a cleaning out from fungus or something growing in there and I'm sure I'll be doing my XJ at some point just because the sender is really annoying me now that my low fuel buzzer blips and the light works which they didn't when I had the idiot light panel.
Wonder if anyone makes an adapter plate for the tank to go from internal to external without having to redo too much plumbing.
Noticed the external pump they used on 'Hammer' that custom mopar they built on 'Rides' the other nite, that pump was pretty hefty and was pretty close to the size of a small starter..

Back