• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2002 Dodge Durango 4.7 L

Mighty.Mighty_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm hoping this is the correct place for this thread. My Durango has disappearing coolant and this morning they told me that I have either a bad head gasket or a cracked head. What I'm wondering is is there a way to find out for sure which one it is. If it's a head gasket I'll probably get to work done. If it's a cracked head my options become much more complicated. As far as I know the rest of my Durango is just fine and I really would prefer to keep it. Anybody have any ideas/ suggestions?

Certainly one way to find out is to pull the head off. Since I'm guessing this is a V-style engine with two heads, do you know which head may have this problem?

NO I don't Rob. I've pretty much decided to get a new truck anyway. The 4.7L is a complicated piece of work and everyone I've spoken to recommends no repairing it. Unless I can find a low mileage replacement, I'ma hafta part ways with my Durango �� ☹️ ��

Back