• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Everything you ever wanted to know about the AW4

I wish someone made a slightly deeper aluminum trany pan with a magnetic drain plug.

http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAutoDeepPan.htm

All it needs is the magnet attached and there you go... This is a good site to get ideas from and Marcus is a fine fellow indeed.

I've seen this before. I think the only problem would be my exhaust being in the way. He said something about the newer models and exhaust being in the way of the deeper pan. I have a 2000 XJ, otherwise, I would seriously take a look at this modification. I'm just surprised that nobody makes an aftermarket pan.

Once again, it is a simple matter of economics. We are such a small market that nobody takes us seriously.

Only just recently has a deep engine oil pan (Moroso part?) made an appearance. And then, folk here promptly complained about the price. Well I hate to burst bubbles but, the costs for production parts represent the recovery of the R&D expenses plus a profit. Given that they expect to move very few of them. the price is understandable. Comments were made about "wrinkles" in the steel. That part is for racing purposes primarily, not a car show. To be honest, I did not even look for the wrinkles as they are pretty common in that type of part.

You would not believe what I was quoted when I tried to get a cam made for my Heep.

No market.

And, it is only the XJ market that chokes on prices. You should see what Rover Folk pay out. I have friends in that market. Folk getting rich are the manufacturers btw, not the resellers...

Or look at what Corvette folk routinely pay out.

So, what incentive does a manufacturer have to make parts for a limited market that is unwilling to spend the bucks due?

Once again, it is a simple matter of economics. We are such a small market that nobody takes us seriously.

So, what incentive does a manufacturer have to make parts for a limited market that is unwilling to spend the bucks due?

I agree and disagree. I went straight to the owner of PML and asked if he would make an aluminum pan for the Jeep Liberty. It took a while, but he eventually produced one. I was the first person to test fit the PML pan on the Jeep Liberty. He expanded the pan to fit other vehicles with the 42RLE. Yes, the Cherokee is a small market, but with the technology that some of these companies have, it doesn’t take much to produce an aftermarket pan. I agree that most people do not want to pay $220 dollars for an aftermarket pan therefore the demand will be low. I forgot what PML told me, but he basically gave me a theoretical number of pans that he would have to sell to make it profitable to him. I’m pretty sure that number was somewhere around 30-40 pans.

How many pans has he sold?

I'm not sure. The last time I spoke to him he seemed pretty happy with the turn out. I spend most of my time on the LOST Jeep Liberty forum in which I know at least a dozen different people who have them. Most people are paying the extra money for the black powdercoat pans vs. the cheaper plain aluminum pan. Jeep Liberty owners like the PML pans because they now have a drain plug, plus the drain plug is magnetic. The pan also has a place for a temperature sending unit.

Unrelated to the oil pan but related to the AW4:

I offer AW4 valve body tuning now. Mods and shift kit installation for any custom application.

I offer AW4 valve body tuning now. Mods and shift kit installation for any custom application.

Can you tell me more about your shift kit? Is it all in the valve body?

Last edited:
96 Country: does anyone know proper output voltages to C14, C15 and C16 TCU pins for an AW4? The reason I ask is that I can lock up torque converter with a manual switch sending battery voltage to new solenoids but can not get normal TCU lockup. I have changed out TPS and VSS so it looks like a problem with power supply to TCU or bad TCU.

If TCU sends less than 12 volts, will 12 volts damage solenoids?

It is cycled, TC lock/unlock, but TCU logic and a brake switch!!!!

Did you change out the VSS or the OSS? VSS is on the transfer case by the rear output housing, and has nothing to do with the TCU, the OSS is on the side of the transmission adapter housing and is usually hidden under the 4x4 linkage bracket that bolts to the side of the trans/tcase. The OSS is the one you need to worry about when it comes to trans functionality.

The solenoids run on regular auto DC power - anywhere up to around 14 volts should be fine for them. approximately 0 volts for OFF, approximately 12-14 volts for ON.

IIRC the torque converter lockup solenoid drive is based on a combination of the brake light switch, throttle position sensor, and NSS. It won't lock up (at least in my experience) in 1st or 2nd, only in 3rd and OD. So if your TCU thinks the gearshift is in 1-2 position for some reason it won't lock the torque converter at any time, same if it thinks the brakes are engaged. Let me know if you need any other info.

PS - I usually check replies to this thread within a day or two guys, and my inbox is almost always perilously close to filling up. Questions here will usually get my attention, I may or may not be able to reply to a PM until I clear out my inbox though, and I prefer to share this info as freely as possible to help more people so I'll generally post answers here.

I want to know where to get the connector for the TCM for a 2001 XJ.

The reason I ask is that I want to build a mod box that remaps the shifter so it operates as follows:
1-2 First gear only with engine braking
3 Second gear only with engine braking
D Operated by the OEM TCM but with an OD lockout switch

I looked at the Montana Fab box and it is quite nice, but it solves only half of my problem. I often drive towing a trailer and need an easier way of selecting or deselecting OD lockout than moving the whole shifter. An OD lockout switch on the steering wheel would make me happier, and my wife *much* happier.

Ideally I would like to find both the male and female connectors so I can plug the current TCM cable into my mod box and a cable from my mod box into the OEM TCM. I did send an email to Montana Fab several days ago asking whether they would sell me the connectors but haven't gotten a response yet. I am hot to trot so if I can find the connectors elsewhere I would like to get this project rolling.

I see that several years ago kastein bought several TCMs to tear apart and reverse engineer. If he or anyone else has a cheap (it doesn't have to be working) TCM and/or the plug with several inches of wires for sale I would like to buy it/them.

@ child9
We are over 60 miles from the nearest Jeep dealer and they aren't very helpful on the phone.

@ Ecomike,

Yes, I finally found an electronic parts distributor that is willing to sell me the plugs in quantities of less than 360 and has them in stock, but the socket still has me stumped. The only distributor/retailer that I can find that will sell the sockets in small quantities promises delivery in 8 weeks! Minimum quantity from anyone else is 390.

So I'm still interested in any 1997-2001 TCUs, working or not.

Back