• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87 Cherokee Chief 2 door Survivor like new refresh with NOS parts

Sure is.

His Search-Fu in locating NOS parts is nothing short of mind-boggling, too. Look at his MJ build over on ComancheClub to see what I mean - who else would manage to score a NOS Comanche bedliner, AND a NOS hidden winch kit, AND a Type I MJ rear bumper, all in the last couple years, in addition to this XJ, which makes a Unicorn seem common? All I can say to that is damn, yo.

Which reminds me - I had my own NOS part score recently and I kind of think Red is partly responsible for it:

I'd been struggling with the power window switches in my '92 acting up (most notably the driver's window not responding). The switches/panel are original to the truck and it got me thinking that maybe I'd better start looking for a spare and I hopped onto eBay.

Lo and behold, besides some (rather pricey) used ones that didn't look much better off than my own, I stumbled across a guy in Wisconsin with a stock of NOS driver's side master switch panels (in Mopar packaging). They were even more expensive ($159 + shipping), so I watchlisted it for a week or two to think. When I realized he was down to only about 10 left (out of almost 90 originally apparently, based on the number sold), I decided to grab one up since it was feeling like if I let it go by, I'd never see another NOS one again.

I now have one of these beauties in my hands, standing by in case I ever need it (I ended up getting the one in the truck working again by hosing of the switch contacts and the harness connector with electrical parts cleaner, so the NOS one is my "rainy day insurance" plan).

I looked up the auction while typing this just now, and apparently he's got 3 of them left, so here's the auction link in case anyone else is looking for one of these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-1996-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Thanks for compliments Jeeples :)

I have seen heavy snow in TX twice in my life, so tested out 4x4 on fleet of XJ's and drove them into backyard for lineup.

all_XJ_Snow.jpg

Pic of NOS Black XJ front floor mats, probably the hardest color to find as was only offered for few years. They will stay NOS and only plan to use for shows and pictures.

black_xj_mats.jpg

Not much action on this XJ but did finally have courage to remove aftermarket vent visors.

Fingers feel the pain rolling the adhesive off. Just too close to decal to use the rubber eraser wheel.

Fortunately they were stuck to window surround trim instead of the Chief vinyl door decal.

8F08C7FE-ECD2-4B05-9226-C072D8EDC806.jpeg

Is the foam tape going to leave the finish behind on the window molding? Looks like it did in some places, but I am sure those are the places it was least well adhered. Any experimentation on the places it was most well adhered?

All the adhesive rolled off with fingers, no damage (other than no fingerprints)

A682119D-F1DD-4DAB-8D18-D9B07D3ED9CD.jpeg

Original battery cables look little brown and don't match rest of engine compartment's crisp look, so going install NOS + and - cables.

DCB8FA65-07EC-44A9-84D4-43FEB02113EA.jpeg

Wish I would have seen this before, I just sold a brand new OEM swing away tire carrier that has never been out of the original box on eBay a few days ago.

Wish I would have seen this before, I just sold a brand new OEM swing away tire carrier that has never been out of the original box on eBay a few days ago.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1149761257...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Man a NOS XJ tire carrier, sold cheap !
I've thought hard about installing exterior tire carrier, as know where nice used one is in CA.
Love the look, as college buddy had 87 blue 2 door Chief (circa 1988) in college and it had tire carrier.
Just don't think I could bring myself to drilling all the holes in this time capsule, but probably would of installed a NOS one :)

That was my ebay listing, if I knew it would sell so fast I would have posted it for more. I was only into for 40.00. guy i bought it from supposedly has a bunch of other new xj stuff. Said he bought a new xj back in 96 ordered pretty much everything for it then his son rolled it, before he got to put anything on it.

I was really intrigued about the exterior XJ spare tire carrier so did some searching.

This is the look that the Chief "COULD" of had, but don't know if I could bring myself to install:

C31BDA8C-5105-4935-BCF9-091118D2CE87.jpeg

So there are 3 versions of OEM XJ exterior spare tire carriers offered thru the years:

1st has vertical support pipe and unique bent piping.

3B26EABD-64A4-4FB0-BB9C-4F08AF1EFF1D.jpeg

2nd has cross angle support pipe

2D0063E7-17E1-43C7-A9F6-97C0E837CEC3.jpeg

3rd was Chrysler offering like one Rick.rob sold, bolted to bumper only, no quarter panel drilling.

37033E63-410B-4789-AAAE-0BBA83A3DCB7.jpeg

The Chief has 3.07 gears so moving to 30.5" tires would make it sluggish.
Although I shouldn't swap, I sure don't want to waste effort re-gearing the D35.

Found this nice XJ D44 from AZ so planning swapping. 2.5" rear shoes have more pad area.

Going to use the 4.10's and inner shafts from my LJ rear D44. As it's getting 5.38' and chromos.

A81CAD32-4D11-42A7-8CAC-8F045374599C.jpeg

And baked and blasted, no pitting anywhere :)
Plan on dressing up some of the weld splatter then back to powder coat.

65480A06-1BEA-49FF-A7E9-3E19995EC00D.jpeg

Rear D44 axle back from powdercoat and rifle cleaned. Slowly been gathering all the parts with particular attention to USA made.

Did find a NOS center cap that will replace one slightly scratched.

087429F7-81A2-48DF-8144-4674124387E7.jpeg

After looking every since I bought this time capsule, finally found the "correct" receiver hitch. Jeep buddy found off a desert dry CA 87 Chief that also had gas skid that I'm going to add.

Drilling drain holes (not that this Jeep even gets washed much) but I debur, remove weld splatter and taper sharp edges before I powder coat anything.

Back from powder.

Why add drain holes if the ends are open?

Always a good idea to let water drain.

Got rear bumper pulled yesterday and paint looks minty.

Thinking about adding NOS pair of bumper guards but not sure exactly where are supposed to be located.

Back