• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Finally starting my teardrop offroad trailer build.

Is the off road hitch/ Knuckle you have something you made? If so got any more info on it. If not where did you get it?

DSC_0028.jpg

What's the purpose of that one bolt that's sticking out at the 3 o'clock position?

Lateral tension to prevent a rattle in the hitch receiver? Idk, it was a guess.
Bingo.

If you have ever pulled trailers, they always seem to have slop in the receiver and you get bumps and bangs. That isn't the bolt that is going to stay there. I have a shorter one and a lock nut for it.

You can also pull that assy appart and flip it so the tongue hangs down instead of being in the up position. That allows me to pull it behind my other vehicles if I want.

It also lets me pull the tongue to save storage space.

I'm busy prepping the XJ for a wheeling day, otherwise I would have some more pix to show everybody.

I ran into some medical issues and have delayed working on if. Hope to start up again this week. I need to sell some crap to help fund the last of the steel and filon.

Anybody need a Henry AR-7 that has never been fired. It comes with a cleaning kit, about 700 rounds, and a zipper bag.

I ran into some medical issues and have delayed working on if. Hope to start up again this week. I need to sell some crap to help fund the last of the steel and filon.

Anybody need a Henry AR-7 that has never been fired. It comes with a cleaning kit, about 700 rounds, and a zipper bag.

what kind of price, and are you willing to ship to my ffl?

obviously I'm not interested in paying to ship .22 ammo.

Oh okay, sorry to hear about the issues lately.

Well most things that take awhile to build end up being VERY nice. I think this will as well. Good luck in the build and take care.

I've just about finished the last of the steel work. I have the inside and outside plywood and most of the rest of the parts. I just have to be able to get past all the other BS that gets in the way. Sound familiar?

I hope to post up some pix either tomorrow or the next day. Skinning the trailer is the small part of the whole thing. Its all the stuff you won't see under it that takes the time.

I got the state inspection and license plates. $20 for a 5 minute walk around and $80+ for the plates. OUCH.

Hope to skin the insides this weekend and maybe even start on the outside. If I were to build another one (a distinct possibility) I would modify the dimensions by an inch or so. I could cut down the cost of materials by a significant amount and simplify the build. That is why we build prototypes.

I've had several people wanting me to build one for them. I am thinking about it.

I have also had quite a few inquiries about selling the hitches.

Wait until you see the crank down jacks I designed for all four corners.

For example, here is what will happen. Notice the axle is still parallel to the frame? Its pivoting on the hitch, yours will do the same, even with the single suspension pivot point in the middle...because of where the bags are mounted. It'll work great as a supsension design, do get me wrong, but it wont flex like you are thinking.

I pretty sure he's right because you have no solid mount on the hitch. In the early 60's there was a trailer you could mount with 2 attachment points to your vehicle. It had one wheel that had spring loaded suspension and pivoted also. The trailer would lean with the tow vehicle as needed. The only way you'll get articulation from the trailer is if has 2 axles one at the front that can steer and one at the back. The front will climb or droop and the rear will do the opposite depending on the terrain. The trailer has no need to articulate when it is doing so at the point of attachment!

Back