• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Interchangeability question

Xplorer400

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a rust free 2000 with what I now believe to be a trashed engine ant trans. It started but wouldn't move and made so many different noises it was impossible to tell what was going on. Got rid of some noises but after further inspection believe neither is worth fixing. Both have over 200k miles, so not a big surprise. What years would be a direct swap and how difficult is it to swap? I was told to do it as a whole unit, is that correct? Any help would be much appreciated.

2000-01 are the only "direct" fits!

Any 1990-2001 XJ Cherokee or 1993-98 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 L engine block will interchange.

Remove and re-use ( or replace with new ) as needed or required from your original engine: Intake/Exhaust manifolds, throttle body, flex plate/flywheel, cylinder head, water pump, distributor-less ignition or distributor assembly, OBD engine computer sensors, fan belt driven accessories, and/or mounting brackets. Difficulty depends on your skill level/experience and your available tools.

If your 2000-2001 XJ Cherokee has a cracked 0331 head, buy a good used redesigned and more durable TUPY 0331 head from a 2002+ 4.0L TJ Wrangler or WJ Grand Cherokee.

Read this thread about AW-4 transmission swapping >> http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1053970

I need to check for the notorious crack in the cyl. head, but judging by what the coolant system looks like, my guess is that it is cracked. Thank you for the quick and expert response.

You should try to use 99 or older parts. Trans and engine is the same just more reliable because Chrysler didn't run AMC design by using cheap materials until 00. May have to use your sensors, injectors and intake from the original engine. Only thing I'm not sure is how the coil pack transfers over but it was better with a distributor anyways since the coil pack Chrysler slapped on was lack luster

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Well, when I looked at it 1st, noticed that the was a ton of P/S fluid leaking and the trans cross member was dripping ATF. Figured it might have been run low enough to cause it to stop moving. When I got it home and checked it properly, found it over filled with new fluid. Figured it was toast at that point.

Well, when I looked at it 1st, noticed that the was a ton of P/S fluid leaking and the trans cross member was dripping ATF. Figured it might have been run low enough to cause it to stop moving. When I got it home and checked it properly, found it over filled with new fluid. Figured it was toast at that point.
Try draining some out of the pan. Might be alright

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Check the tranny cooler lines. Sometimes the metal clips holding it to the oilpan wear through the line and they start leaking. Also make sure you're checking with the tranny at operating temp in neutral with the engine running and the parking brake set.

I bought a rust free 2000 with what I now believe to be a trashed engine ant trans. It started but wouldn't move and made so many different noises it was impossible to tell what was going on. Got rid of some noises but after further inspection believe neither is worth fixing. Both have over 200k miles, so not a big surprise. What years would be a direct swap and how difficult is it to swap? I was told to do it as a whole unit, is that correct? Any help would be much appreciated.

00-01 as stated is what you can drop in, past that It become a pain to start swapping over other engine parts. I dumped my 01 project after starting to see how difficult it was going to be to swap over my 93 parts. You have Coil on plug, 2 cats, intake manifold is slightly different, same with exhaust. Yes, you can swap stuff over but was more work than I wanted to put in to mine. Trans 98+ is the best earlier years can be swapped but a gain a lot more work.

Back