• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lug nuts

NewBreedCustom

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody got any tip or old tricks for getting a rounded off lug nut that seems to be siezed??? Ive tried heat and the smaller socket trick with no luck. Not even my 300 ft/lbs torque gun can get it off. Thanks for the help

Tried soaking it with penetrating lube?

How about using a cheater? 200lb + 6ft bar = 1200 ft/lbs

If its really siezed you may have to tighten it until it snaps, then replace the stud

Have a tire shop remove it, they deal with those all the time and have a specialized tool. Or, have welding pro weld an open lug nut to the stuck one. The heat should loosen it up.

I'd definitely ask how they remove them if you take it into a shop; a Firestone shop cut them off my friend's Ecco wheels with a torch, and screwed them up nicely.

I agree with the tire shop, im a tech at a goodyear, and I just use a set of my snap on lock nut removal sockets for this scenario, shouldn't cost you more than 10$ and 5 min of your time.

$10 huh? I hope so. I will call around tomorrow. I guess this is one of those things from the phrase work smarter not harder. Even though I pride myself of doing everthing myself for experience and knowing its right. If not, I can only blame myself!! LOL

You can put your lug wrench on the nut so that the handle is in the 3 o'clock position (parallel to the ground). Then take a floor jack and jack up the handle of the lug wrench. That should give you plenty of force to remove the nut. If it is on there really good.. you'll probably just snap the stud.

HF should also have bolt extractor or something similar.

Can the front lug studs be replaced without removing the axles ? I think my 98 may be in the market, they squealed pretty well the last time I rotated my tires.

Back