• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 vacuum disconnect question

Kestrada5

NAXJA Forum User
Hey so I have a 97 xj with a HP Dana 30 upfront and I believe it has a shitty pinion bearing...considering the horrible noises it makes. Anyways I went and got a Dana 30 from under a Comanchee yesterday but it has the factory vacuum disconnect. I was wondering if I could entirely switch the carrier and pinion(including the shim stacks)from the comanchee axel and just swap it into my existing axel under my jeep. Ive heard from a couple buddies that it wouldn’t work and the housings are a little bit different, or some other issues. Some said it would work because they’re the same. I’m asking for a more professional answer rather than hearsay. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Differential internals are not Plug and Play, at the minimum you would need to use some specialized tools and technical knowledge to check/set the shim thickness and gear engagement pattern.

You can use the 97 axle shafts to delete the vacuum disconnect.

Probably the easiest/simpliest option is to buy a complete non-disconnect axle.

Last edited:
If you're gonna go through all the trouble of trying to swap all internals you should just change your pinion bearing. Even that would be easier than swapping all the other stuff like outer knuckles, brakes and axle shafts.

Back