• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1989 Renix XJ Cruise Control

Southern Steel

NAXJA Forum User
I just purchased a 1989 Renix XJ that is in very good condition. The problem is that it lacks the one thing that I use all the time which is Cruise Control. That being said what is the easiest method to install cruise on this vehicle? Factory retrofit off a donor Jeep? A Rosta aftermarket unit? Suggestions?

I am looking for a setup myself. At least mine has the multifunction stalk and originally had factory cruise so all the wiring is there. I just need to source all the bits.

Does yours have the multifunction stalk? If not, you might want to check out RockAuto for one.

Also, any Saginaw column will work as long as it's auto for auto or manual for manual, unless you don't care about shift interlock. The connectors are all the same to my knowledge, and if anything isn't, it can be changed pretty easily.

This stuff went in a box this afternoon, but I thought about this post and pulled it all together for a picture so you could see the majority of what you'll need.

P7050012.jpg

Don't know how I spaced it, but there's a speed sensor on the speedometer cable behind the cluster that you'll need, and on that note, the cable itself is two pieces. You'll need to change the speedometer cable too.

I yanked most of the cruise control stuff out of my '88 a few months ago. It's up for grabs if anyone wants it. I might even have that short section of speedo cable somewhere.

How much shipped to 80537?

I don't need the speedo cable or the stalk. I just need the vacuum servo control box, and maybe the sensor for the speedo cable.

Last edited:
I'll put it in a box and stop by the post office to check shipping cost tomorrow.

I should mention that since I can't remember ever using cruise that i dont know for certain that everything works.

Not in a big hurry but I don't want to let this get away.

Back