• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1999 xj 4x4 hp Dana 30 non abs swap to 1996 zj abs Dana 30

Mrsandman80

NAXJA Forum User
New to this and this is my first xj. Problem is the front axle is rotted and I have a possible replacement. My xj is a 1999 sport 4x4 non abs with hot Dana 30 I'm front and 8.25 Chrysler in the rear, gearing is 3.55. The donor axle is coming from a 1996 zj Laredo. It has a Dana 30 low pinion with abs. Just wondering how much trouble if any it will be to swap the abs axle in to my xj? I have no intentions of hooking up abs just want the complete front axle all the way to the knuckles and rotors and all.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

It should be a direct swap. Just make sure the donor axle is the same gearing. But why would you want to go from a Hp dana 30 to a Lp dana 30? Most people do the opposite.

And I'm also curious as to how the front axle rotted out on you? Possible pictures?

Yes the LP is definitely a downgrade.

Downgrade agreed!!! High pinion D30's with 355 gearing are a dime a dozen at junk yards. Make sure it's not a vacuum disconnect too.

Thanks for the replies. But yes, I have heard the high pinions are better, but the donor is easily accessible to me and very cheap. And other options are about 180to 200 miles from me. But as to how the front got rotted it came from the salt belt. So it had a harsh road life. But I got a good deal on it so decided to pull the trigger and get to work on it.

The guy told me it is either a 3.55 or 3.73 I believe. I told him I need a 3.55 so def going to have to check it out. As far as the disconnect im not sure if the 1996 zj's had it. How would I go about checking for that?

Forgot to add that I do plan on welding axle trusses so hopefully that should help with some of the downgrade part to the low pinion.

No, I would not invest any time in a LP.

It's not the end of the world! I own 2 2000's so I have two LP D30's, that said in one I have a ARB air locker, chromoly shafts, and WJ brakes installed so I played the cards I was dealt. The worst issue is dealing with caster.

It's not the end of the world! The worst issue is dealing with caster.

I didn't know better years ago when I kept the LP30 in my 2001, regearing and adding an E-locker and alloy shafts. 230,000 miles later, it's still intact.
It has less yoke clearance than a HP30 but the big issue is the lack of caster on a mildly lifted XJ. At 4 of lift", with adjustable upper and lower control arms, 3-1/2 degree of caster was the maximum available, with the front yoke angle set to 1 degree, to prevent vibrations. Adjustable upper ball joints brought the caster up to the 5 degrees it now has. The only way to get more caster would be cutting and rotating the Cs.
A low pinion can be lifted more and still have adequate caster.

If you get a good deal on a LP30, it should be fine and if you plan on a big build, find a HP30 or 44 to build on your own schedule, I wouldn't waste time trussing a LP30

Well I'm pretty sure I'm going to look for a hp dana30 and work through it. I live near the border of a Mexico near a fareley large city called Mexicali and have been told there are a ton of xj parts that side of the border and for dirt cheap. So I'ma give it a shot.
Gonna have bring me a translator because can't speak a lick of espanol.

If you’re going to swap axles why not get something you want instead of a cheap replacement? If this is a daily driver and you need it to get to work that makes sense but if it’s a second vehicle you’re better off swapping the axle to something yuo want instead of a cheap replacement. Axle swaps aren’t cheap and a lot of the same work to swap a low pinion 30 is going to be done for a 44 or seething bigger. It just depends on your fabrication skills. Mine are “unbolt, insert new bolt” which is a main reason I don’t have bigger axles.

Well I'm pretty sure I'm going to look for a hp dana30 and work through it. I live near the border of a Mexico near a fareley large city called Mexicali and have been told there are a ton of xj parts that side of the border and for dirt cheap. So I'ma give it a shot.

Gonna have bring me a translator because can't speak a lick of espanol.

Agree with the above for the most part, if LP is cheap to free and local, run it. Very little difference in the two and it doesn't sound like you're going to beat on it enough to find out

Curious of this meximecca of XJ parts Mrs. Andman
208ec3e9a37a14c9d3bb4d409db0ab75.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back