• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

boot on the top of pitman arm

Fish'nCarz

NAXJA Forum User
Whilst changing fluids I noticed the rubber boot on the linkage on top of the pitman arm by the grease zirk is in tatters. Can these be changed without a lot of trouble or is it a PITA? Should I be lookin' for damage under there?

if its not ripped and u have grease coming out and it rotates ok, then it should be ok.

if its ripped , there is a chance that dirt can get in = bad.

Its very easy to damage the tie-rod end when pulling it, making it necessary to replace it.

Thats why you don't see the boots for sale to replace them. Most people consider replacing the boot the same as replacing the whole thing.

There are universal type boots from the "HELP" section of your auto store or the PolyUrethane Bushings kits and/or parts. They aren't as good as the OEM boots that come with the tie-rod end, they don't fit and seal on the outside circumference of the joint, they merely slide over it and squeeze it. The universal replacements do seal somewhat, but not as well as the OEM IMHO, but it will probably seal out more dirt than a tattered oem boot.

Thats the center link you will need a puller I used a pitman arm puller pop right off remove the nut first to remove the center link loosen the adjustment sleeve nut closes to the center link turn the centerlink counter clock wise and count the number of turns and remove, put in the new centerlink counting the number of turns retach the center link to the pitman arm and tighten.

PS I tryed the pickle fork did not work for me I could see it could couse damage.

Last edited:
Back