• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Barbed fittings for transmission cooler lines?

GrimmJeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking to put barbed fittings into the transmission so I can run hose directly off of the trans without using the quick disconnects, anyone know of a part number? I've been searching for the last hour and all I can find is threads on cutting the stock lines with a tube cutter and attaching the hose there. That is NOT what I want to do. I want to replace the fittings in the transmission.

I'm not opposed to using adapters and such to get to the barb, but I'm having trouble finding a fitting other than a quick disconnect that would screw into the 14x1.5mm o-ring sealed hole in the trans. adapters would work well anyway because then I could put 90° fittings on it and run the lines towards the back where my cooler and fan are.

95 aw4 if that matters.
:helpme:

It would be cool to see a picture of your trans cooler. Right now I just cut the stock lines where they are made of rubber and plumber them into a B&M cooler with double barbed fittings. I dont like how it blocks airflow though.

Personally, I would cut the stock lines and go from there, so you dont risk messing up the trans threads. I guess this would be a problem if you want to run a cooler behind the trans.

Weatherhead makes the fittings.. I can't find a part number at this time, but any hydralic shop should be able to point you in the right direction.. tomarrow at work I will look at my part book and see if I can find a 14X1.5mm o-ring to pipe adapter, 90 degree pipe elbow and a pipe to barbd fitting adapter... what size of hose are you running?

i pulled the adapter off one of my spare trannies in hopes of matching it up with something so i could do exactly what you want

all i know is its pipe thread.

figured i might get lucky at home depot and came up empty handed and gave up on my search then.

Thanks for the link, and the responses. I'm running an 18x10 6 pass high flow cooler from summit racing:
72132_1543860290112_1643138606_1320734_3257959_n.jpg

Probably more than i need but it was free so that's what I'm going with :D

I've got a rack of barbed fittings, all i need is to find the threaded adapter to go from the metric oring sealed thread to standard pipe (or -AN fittings). I'll be running 3/8ths and 1/4 pipe thread or -AN fittings depending on what I can find to adapt to the trans.

It is not standard NPT pipe thread, and the threads are not tapered (this is why there is an oring around the threads on the fitting when you pull it out).

Ps: don't hate on the crooked mount, i was dodging spot welds and double layered steel above and below when mounting the bars. It's all coming out when the cage goes in anyway this is just getting ready for a shakedown run next month. :D

Just for future reference there is a digit missing from the fitting part number in that article, the actual part number of the 14mmx1.5 o ring seal to -6 AN fitting adapter from Earl's is 9919DFHERL.

Can this be done to the radiator side of the transmission lines? They bypassed the rad in the JP article.

I too would like to get ride of the leak prone disconnects. Plus AN fittings and braided hose are all the rage these days. :D

air hose fittings are the right size, just have to use teflon tape to get a seal is all, Advance auto also has the barbed fittings, they keep them in the same place on the sales floor by the trans coolers and electric rad fans

Just for future reference there is a digit missing from the fitting part number in that article, the actual part number of the 14mmx1.5 o ring seal to -6 AN fitting adapter from Earl's is 9919DFHERL.

HAHAHA you figured that out also! I was on holloy site looking for that part #, then found out i'm smarter than the editor!

Can this be done to the radiator side of the transmission lines? They bypassed the rad in the JP article.

I too would like to get ride of the leak prone disconnects. Plus AN fittings and braided hose are all the rage these days. :D

yes, the radiator fittings are available. It's just a standard inverted flare (like a brake hard line fitting).

air hose fittings are the right size, just have to use teflon tape to get a seal is all, Advance auto also has the barbed fittings, they keep them in the same place on the sales floor by the trans coolers and electric rad fans
Thanks, I'll take a look there! Those fittings from earls are $12 a piece from summit! :shocked:

HAHAHA you figured that out also! I was on holloy site looking for that part #, then found out i'm smarter than the editor!

Haha yeah what a pain in the butt! I sent an email to the editor hopefully it'll get fixed on their end :thumbup:

If you want to go to NPT, this might help. Autometer # 2267 http://www.jegs.com/i/Auto+Meter/105/2267/10002/-1. However, if you want to go to AN fittings you could use Parker 836 push-lok hose and push-lok style fittings. Any manufacture's pushlock/push lock/twist lock fitting will work.

And as ehall said, air hose fittings are not the right size for the metric transmission fitting.

This^

We got a couple there when I did my tranny cooler.

this thread makes me all kinds of happy. Gonna have to get those fittings next time I work on the tranny lines... I hate quickdisconnects with a passion.

If you can find a 9/16-17 threaded pipe fitting anywhere, it is really really damn close to m14x1.5. Note that I don't think such a thing exists, I just ran the calculations to convert to SAE :dunce:

Glad someone else could use this info too. I hate the quick disconnects as well Ken, Just more parts to break/tweak beyond reuse. Good luck on the 9/16ths pipe thread, I don't know that I've ever seen that one, haha.

If you want to go to NPT, this might help. Autometer # 2267 http://www.jegs.com/i/Auto+Meter/105/2267/10002/-1.

Thanks for the link, that should work just as well but it drops to 1/8th pipe, I don't want to restrict the lines that much.

Weatherhead part # MC5315x6x14. Any NAPA can get them

Thanks for looking it up :thumbup: at $12.65 apiece though that's a dollar more than the Earl's fitting.

Back