• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TJ Purchase

NOTNSUV

You Guys ROCK!
2006 Wrangler TJ Unlimited Rubicon (LJ)

I'm seriously considering a 2006 TJ Rubicon. Have yet to see it, but a reliable friend tells me it's "done right". I see some pretty stiff prices these days online. I did manage a couple days trail time in my buddy's '06 TJ Rubicon 6spd and like it fine. Love the 4:1 transfer case. My first Jeep was a '75 CJ5 I bought brand new but never modded it at all.

I've done a little research on these and have found the 42RLE transmission might be a cause for concern, weak point. Even on a well done TJ I don't want to borrow trouble with a less-than-stout transmission
My guy tells me the 42 was rebuilt to handle the HP/T of a stroker 4.0L, which ended up blowing and was replaced with a new reman 4.0, so the engine is not a concern.

Can you folks advise on what to look for/at when I get around to inspecting this? I'm not a rookie but don't know my Wranglers very well. Yup, I've searched and looked at other TJ/Wrangler forums to see what's up.

Not gonna replace the '99 XJ but add to my stable, so to speak. I'm telling the wife it's for her.. :wow:

TIA

Last edited:
Yes I did. I pounded the Wrangler forums and got a bit of advice. I didn't ever get to see the TJ I originally posted about and decided I'd go for the TJU Rubicon with manual. Just got it home after a nearly 800 mile round trip. '06 TJ Unlimited Rubicon with 29,000 miles. I won't disclose what I paid but it's immaculate, rust free and has some decent mods. Of course I'll do my own thing with it. It happens to be black, just like my XJ but has no Nevada pin-striping. The XJ will remain my go-to for the rough stuff unless I decide to hammer the new one but that's doubtful since they're pretty much the cats whiskers these days.

Thanks for the response. Guess a Wrangler must be the dark side around here.

Congratulations on your purchase.
There are vinyl wraps that are strong enough to resist off-road scratching.

Congratulations on your new jeep I had a 97 tj that was totalled by a drunk driver while it was parked in front of my house.

Congratulations on your new jeep I had a 97 tj that was totalled by a drunk driver while it was parked in front of my house.

Interesting. Do you have specifics and/or links. Always a consideration.

Thanks.

Interesting. Do you have specifics and/or links. Always a consideration.

Thanks.
This happened ten years ago the accident also
Totaled my Chevy van as well as the steps to my house.

Metalcloak fenders coming soon. Haven't been able to ID the bead locks. CWF or some such. Currie stuff and RE, tummy tuck...
cdd4b5a1bfe8472d704d7173ead80afe.jpg
2b713250619c97b2830480c2138bf76a.jpg
280042730d5567e3056a9b6b0c5b6d08.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Congratulations on your purchase.
There are vinyl wraps that are strong enough to resist off-road scratching.

Would you have more details? Manufacturer, links?

Thanks.

Gonna take these beadlocks off the TJUR and try them on the XJ.
16 x 8 x 4.5" backspacing. I'll leave the out of date KM2 35 x 12.50 x. 16 on there for a bit then maybe go back to 33s with my 4.56.
Ya think?

CWT Beadlock.jpg

Back