• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 HP differential case

TexasCherokee4x4

NAXJA Forum User
What is the highest gear ratio you can run on a stock Dana 30 HP Differential case??
I've looked everywhere and I can't find an answer. Many thanks guys.

Awesome thanks a bunch.

The carrier break is 3.55 and down.

Carrier break in and of itself may not be the correct answer. The other carrier starts from 4.10 to 1. From what I have heard you could go upto 5:16 to 1 or is it 5:38,...I will have to look it up. However, most guys on NAXJA advise against going with too deep of a gear ratio. They claim the ring and pinion become too small thus making them weaker. The tallest I think is about 2:70.

The numerically highest gears for the Dana 30's in the XJ are 4.88's, but as Frank Z said, the stock carrier maxes out at 3.55, so a different carrier is required.

The later model JK Dana 30's can do 5.13's. but still not really recommended.

Depending on Which D30..

Highest # in a XJ HP - 4.88
Lowest # in a XJ HP - 3.07
That I know of..

The numerically highest gears for the Dana 30's in the XJ are 4.88's, but as Frank Z said, the stock carrier maxes out at 3.55, so a different carrier is required.

FYI, the D30RS (JK) 5.13 pinion head is still larger then a 4.56 or maybe even a 4.11 ~ D30R. It is a good D30 actually, well internally.

This is the exact answer I needed.

Back