• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newbie help with tires !

Caper

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys ! I'm new to this form. I have a 92 XJ. Just waiting for my RE 6030 4.5" lift. I'm in need of some tires. Not sure what size to go with. 32x11.5x15 or 33x12.5.15. I can get them both for the same price. I'm not too worried about trimming. There's a dana 30 front dana 35 rear with 3:55:1 gears. What would you suggest ?

Caper said:
I have a 92 XJ. Just waiting for my RE 6030 4.5" lift. I'm in need of some tires. 32x11.5x15 or 33x12.5.15. There's a dana 30 front dana 35 rear with 3:55:1 gears. What would you suggest ?

I would suggest 31x10.5x15 tires. If you go any taller, then you are just asking for trouble with the D35. It's a notoriously weak axle and has a tendency to break with the combination of large tires and a wee too much stupid pedal.

p.s. You are aware that with 3.55 gears and larger tires, your XJ is going to perform like a pig?

p.p.s. You have ordered a SYE, right???

33's if you want to trim and are going to swap the rear axle out for a beefier unit with deeper gears AND regear the front to match.

31's otherwise (stock axles/gears). Unless it's a street queen only....but even then if you go bigger than 31" the acceleration and mileage are both going to be NOT good on stock gears. Trans may blow earlier too.

Caper said:
Just waiting for my RE 6030 4.5" lift.
Which is it? the RE6030 3.5", or the RE6130 4.5"?? If you have the shorter lift, you're going to have to do a good deal of trimming to get the 32s to fit. If you've got the taller lift, 32s will fit but you're going to need some new rims with less backspace and I'd strongly recommend regearing after upgrading to a stronger rear axle.

Back