• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB Radio in the XJ

I had my old one wedged between the passenger seat and console for a long time, but I found it was always shifting around on me (particulary on the trail where it was bumpier) and it also tended to put the radio's weight on the antenna cable; I think that damaged the cable doing that. Another downside was having to drape the mic cord across the console/handbrake, but that wouldn't be an issue for what you're doing.

Still, I'm happy with my overhead radio mount and remote mic. To each their own.

Any pics and/or more details on your overhead mount Rob?

Thanks.

Any pics and/or more details on your overhead mount Rob?

Thanks.

To be honest I got sidetracked by life and never got around to taking some pics. I'll have to do that this weekend and get them up here.

Thanks for the reminder.

To be honest I got sidetracked by life and never got around to taking some pics. I'll have to do that this weekend and get them up here.

Thanks for the reminder.

Spent the day on mine and will tomorrow as well. Think I have it on the run with mock-up of overhead bracket, copied from another member. Love that there will be very little weight there to wobble and no heat on the headliner. Hoping my remote pigtail is long enough to reach the driver's side under rear seat and should be good. Considered under passenger front but like the protection of the rear.

I got the pics, but didn't have time to get them up over the weekend, it's on my to-do list when I get home from work tonight.

I was very pleasantly surprised at how solid mine is mounted - the aluminum diamond plate strip is plenty stiff, even with just the two attach points (the mirror clip points), everything is solid. Admittedly, I've only had two smaller radios attached to that - my old Radio Shack "Sports" CB (a yellow and grey model), and now the Cobra 19. Neither is all that heavy, though.

Pics tonight!

Whew. Done deal. Works as advertised. Programmed for area repeaters and simplex 'wheelin' channels + ham repeaters scan.
86f7da0f05f3f3370b8fe4742f61637f.jpg
350821e5858458100e53bc7220f31795.jpg
24291824754bf4a6586e5792a7ad4c0b.jpg
42ac5f851cb34f502204182568e84876.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Oops. Doubled up on one. Seat bottom clears and I don't ford rivers.
d5c707cbc9dd2e6020dc09ea4800cd9f.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Sure does. The only thing I've noticed is that on really steep downhills, the mic can sometimes slip off and down onto the floor. Been thinking about where I might be able to put the little hanging clip that came with the radio.

Other than that, it's a vast improvement on having the thing jammed in between the passenger seat and the center console.

Most important is the antenna followed by the mounting location and least critical is the radio itself. I have a Midland "in the handset" model that hardly ever gets used, we moved early on to FRS and now with cell phones now.
I would agree that if you go with cb the antenna location and size are as if not more important than the cb itself. Next I would either get a cb that can be tuned for the antenna size or buy an antenna tuner. I mounted my 3ft to the top of my spare tire rack in back and cb mounted to the side of my passenger front tunnel.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

As I understand it, the radio itself isn't "tuned" to the antenna size, what you're actually doing is tuning the antenna to the vehicle.

If you're setting up a CB, you definitely need at least a VSWR meter and a short length of cable (you're putting the meter between the radio and cable to the antenna). They're not expensive - for example, Walcott Radio has a small meter packaged with a short coax cable and a booklet on how to use them all for $30. They also have a nice article on what the VSWR tuning process is and how to go about it:

https://www.walcottradio.com/help/swr-cal-knob-what-is-it-for-cb-radio.php

Sure does. The only thing I've noticed is that on really steep downhills, the mic can sometimes slip off and down onto the floor. Been thinking about where I might be able to put the little hanging clip that came with the radio.

Other than that, it's a vast improvement on having the thing jammed in between the passenger seat and the center console.

With my remote head above the rear view mirror I mounted the mic holder on the map/dome light housing overhead.. cheating toward the passenger side for underside clearance and perfect to reach. Yup, drilled 3 pilot holes.. it's a Jeep.

Makes sense when the mic still plugs directly into the radio, but in my case I have that extension that brings the mic's plug down to the center console right below the tcase shifter.

I just have to stare at it a bit to figure out what might work well...

Back