• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New steering box - too soft ?

gdl90xj

NAXJA Forum User
I searched but could not find an answer, sorry if it has been discussed before

I had a very leaky steering box, it is now replaced by a remanufactured unit

Boy ! Steering is now awfully soft!

Got an alignment, added shims to increase the caster 2° but still soft, it drives in straight line smooth and no vibrations.

I can drive with one finger, I can not remember how it was when stock , but I do not recall it feeling like a 1970s power steering sedan like a ford ltd.

I have a 2" suspension and all terrain 235/75/15 tires

so the question is, and I understand it is hard to judge without driving the car, but is this steering softness normal ?

Thanks in advance

I'm not sure what you mean by soft. There were a couple different gear rations used over the years so it might just be a different in the gear ratio.

Thanks I know it is difficult to explain

soft as there is no resistance at the steering wheel when turning, there is little feel of the road, as if the wheels were lifted of the ground

there seems to be to much power from the hydraulics

the steering works fine, it is just to easy to operate, sneezing at highway speeds is now a dangerous thing to do

Thanks I know it is difficult to explain

soft as there is no resistance at the steering wheel when turning, there is little feel of the road, as if the wheels were lifted of the ground

there seems to be to much power from the hydraulics

the steering works fine, it is just to easy to operate, sneezing at highway speeds is now a dangerous thing to do

Sounds more like an alignment issue, the vehicle not tracking well. have the alignment checked.

I thought by sneezing on the highway issue that it tended to take off and wander.

Valves are under the outlet port, can be removed with pumps installed Too much pressure could over drive the system, making light easy steering.

also make sure your tire pressures are not too high, that too can cause light steering.

Sounds like a good thing to me

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Back