• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend is over...what did you get done?

Yep, the valve dropped in the original motor. Nothing that I've heard of regarding cam or timing issues.

The valve issue was apparently resolved in the 2009 model year Hemi. It was a ChryCo issue across brands. I'm hearing that a lot of police departments had issues in the mid-00s with the Hemis in their Charger patrol cars.

Yep, the valve dropped in the original motor. Nothing that I've heard of regarding cam or timing issues.

The valve issue was apparently resolved in the 2009 model year Hemi. It was a ChryCo issue across brands. I'm hearing that a lot of police departments had issues in the mid-00s with the Hemis in their Charger patrol cars.

Yes. I have seen or talked to several JK owners about the cam issues. Lenny has a couple hemi's in his shop he claims all have bad cams. IDK if you kow Lenny or not. To him everything is junk now days. Of course he isn't too far off IMHO!

I finally got the rear done. Top pic is how I routed the brake line. It was pre-cut and flared so did what I could do with it.

The shocks were a pain. The original owner had after market shocks installed with self tapping screws in small holes drilled right next to the broken original shock bolt. Because of this, I couldn't just tap out the broken bolt.

I used rear sway bar brackets as my bar pin eliminators and slightly relocated the shock mounting position.

I cut out 6 inch or so length 16 gauge sheet metal strips to hold my bolts so I could maneuver them into the recently drilled holes. This worked perfectly on the driver side. The passenger side went a little different due to trial and error. I welded the bolts into the sheet metal so I would not have to put a wrench on the top side.

Oh yea, I put my wheels back on thinking I could have it sitting on it's own weight... wrong. The 15 inch rims do not clear the calipers. This jeep aint' moving until I put new wheels and tires on. Anyway, pics below:

brake_line.jpg

shock_bracket.jpg

I went to Ivy Bluff and scored some goodies for the Grand. Found a nice set of seats with manual bases, a couple transmission dip sticks and an OEM transmission cooler.

It was so hot on Saturday and the seats fought being removed. A captured bolt on each base broke loose. But we did get them out.
8e2475d0962b43cc2b830ff7e1d75007.jpg

a4feb988b4768c250b807c2488fd5d88.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been working with Glenn on his MJ every chance I got and he got. We got stopped dead yesterday when we realized we ordered the wrong front brakes.... Crawl 2019!

I went to Ivy Bluff and scored some goodies for the Grand. Found a nice set of seats with manual bases, a couple transmission dip sticks and an OEM transmission cooler.

It was so hot on Saturday and the seats fought being removed. A captured bolt on each base broke loose. But we did get them out.

Where is Ivy Bluff?

The address is listed as Morrison, TN. It's not too far from my house.

The only bad part about this yard is the cars are just set on coarse gravel. It can be a challenge to walk on if you have bad knees. Also, it makes it tough to get anything off the underside of the vehicle. They will come out and prop them up for you to get underneath though.

Last edited:
My front passenger side brake caliper stuck a few weeks ago. I rounded up some new pads and rotors and picked up new calipers and brake lines. In my experience with Chryco products, most often the lines fatigue and cause the problems.
3ae84762c32078dfe6e75ab1394b86cb.jpg

I used this SP3 penetrating oil to soak the brake line connections. Broke free nice and easy using a flare wrench.
0125c48564a0f179a828cfb34a36d49e.jpg

5b2e1e2cdafab7af511d00b199cd705a.jpg

I got everything done and bled the brakes. Everything worked great. Now my 1994 is back in service.

OK... so i could buy 37s with wheels for $500. I just need rollers anyway to get this thing out of my garage. I'm no where near ready for 37s axle wise. I think I may go ahead and buy them.

How much lift do you have?

I am on my second set or rotors for the mj. the first set was the late model. My mistake. This set is supposed to be for the early brakes. They will not fit over the unit bearing...... WTH!!???

Installed my new AFE intake. I got the Momentum ST intake, and I'm pretty impressed. Definitely noticed a bit more power on the highway. Nothing crazy, but I'm able to hold 4th gear at speed on inclines without hunting for gears like usual. Also picked up ~2 mpg over the exact same drive I did a week ago. No idea if it meets the power claims they make, but I'm happy with the improvements I marked

I put some new Skyjacker H7016 shocks on the front of my 1994 XJ and it sure rides a lot better. I'd like to have gone with Bilsteins but so far I'm happy and saved quite a bit.

I also was able to swap in the front seats I bought at the junkyard a while back. I took out the power seats from the 98 ZJ and swapped in manual bases and decent seats. The wife is a lot happier.

We are moving at the end of the month within the same city. This kind of happened suddenly and has certainly provided me with a sense of urgency to get my Jeep movable. it's been on jack stands for months. I finished up the front yesterday.

I had a great time with the pitman arm and had to end up cutting it. I broke the rented pitman puller and used the TRE puller to pop it off.

I bought tires and wheels earlier than expected because with the KJ disc conversion on the rear, the 15 stockers don't fit.

I've got 285/75/R16s that are scheduled for delivery today. All that's left to get this thing drive-able to the new house is mounting and installing tires and bleeding brakes.

Here's a list of must-dos before I take this rig wheeling:

1. Flush cooling system-It's nasty.
2. Adjust transfer case shift linkage - keeps popping out of 4wd
3. Replace U joints on front axle.
4. Maybe install an SYE. Not sure yet.

We've got the Mj on all 4 again. Hopefully going to button it up and have it driveable in a couple weeks. Assuming all goes better then this whole build has gone. :rolleyes:

Replaced all the bolts on the MJ's steering linkages and was able to remove the broken bolt from the pass side leaf perch on the front axle.

Drove it to work today just because I could.

Hoping to pull the engine/trans/t-case from the 99 donor this weekend and pull that motor off (it's bad). Then over the next couple weeks get the good motor out of the 4 dr MJ and then stab the good motor and trans/t-case into Cal's jeep. He'll be 16 at the end of November so we gotta get it on the road soon.

Got the bad motor and then trans/t-case out of the 99 to get ready to go in Cal's '93.

Almost afraid the t-case is bad but we'll see.

Hoping to pull the good motor out of the 4 dr MJ Friday eve then get ready to stab it all in the '93. Have Jeeptoberfest mid October...hoping to be ready by October 1 to do shakedown driving beforehand.

Holy crap his 16th birthday is coming up quick!

So, my tires never shipped. Apparently the casings were failing and Treadwright never told me of the delay/ backorder. I asked them to refund me and I just bought BFGs same size for only $80 more total brand new from 4 Wheel Parts. I know a lot of guys run Treadwrights but unfortunately I can’t recommend them. I’m disappointed in their customer service.

Back