• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP242 Transfer Case SYE

SnowyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched high and low and no one gives a definate answer to this question..

Does anyone make a Slip Yoke Elminatore kit for the NP242 full time transfer case..

If so.. where and how much.

and.. does anyone know how to do these fairly well.. I'm not really all that hot on cracking apart t-cases, and mixing things up.. I'd be interested if someone was willing to give me a hand in trade for some good times, cold free beer and maybe even some cash or parts..

Again..

Thanks in Advance.

Worried in Snowville without 4WD working

Bill

IIRC RE has a hack n tap and i think that's the only SYE there is for a 242. I'll be doin this too, really soon. Looks pretty straight forward, not to much to it.:)

My 242 has a M.I.T. SYE in it. It comes with a new shaft and you will have to split the case to install it. It held up well for me for the past three years. Tom Woods also makes a SYE for the 242 but I've heard a lot of guys here complain about seals leaking.
M.I.T. 619-579-7727
Tom Woods www.4xshaft.com
mattk

Last edited:
DPG Off Road

Try Dirk at DPG off road. He has great prices on RE parts and is a great person to deal with.

Kevin

tom woods sye

i just recently installed a tom woods sye and it went in actualy pretty easy. you will need acces to a impact wrence to get off the front yoke. i was having a huge leak but it was the main output seal, it had backed out and was dumping fluid real bad. i was able to clean and green lock tite it in place and no leaks at all now. about 500 bills with the drive shaft. i think mine was a freak leak but tom is sending mre some new seals for free just in case.

I have a Tom Woods SYE in my 242 for 2 years now and it has yet to spill its first drop of fluid. :D

I stand extremely corrected. I guess I just ASSumed since there's not as much call for 'em as for a 231. Good for me, I never liked the hack n tap idea anyway.

I'm not trying to push the Currie unit ... although I did like their design of a double row bearing replacing the OEM single row----and how the bearing recesses into the tailshaft housing and the beefy end cap.

It seemed like the next best thing to a HD SYE kit that nobody makes for the 242.

TW has pics and installation instructions for the Currie SYE kit and his SYE kit on the website ... I'm not sure what that's all about ... but I would compare the design elements before laying down $250+ bucks.

I noticed the Currie and TW end caps are very different.

Just make sure you seal the Transfer Case housing real good with RTV ... my TC housing has a wet spot near a bolt hole on lower side of the case ... damned mechanic was too liberal with the RTV ... now the whole f'n thing has to be pulled apart again.

Other than that I'm happy with the outcome.

Just buy my NP242! :D
Has a Tom Woods SYE, New Chain and all new seals, never run.
21spline
$300

I'm interested in that T-Case but all I'm wondering now is will it fit on the AW4 From a 1989 Jeep Cherokee Limited.. It has never had a tranny swap or anything.. that's the tranny she'll be bolted up to.. So.. other than pulling it apart.. which I'm sort limited to doing on weekends only... I'm just wondering if that's the correct spline count..

PM me or something and I'll be happy to see what we can do..

Thanks. Bill

this T-Case is from a 1987
Im not too sure, but I think they made 21 and 23 spl outputs in those trannys for that year.
the swap is pretty darn easy tho.
Get a t-Jack or a floor jack with a block of wood
take the weight off your tranny pan.
pop the drive shafts.
remove the 5 or 6 clocking bolts from the front of the T-Case(maybe different for you)
linkage, speedo cable, and breather hose.
Unbolt from the X-member and slide it back with two people if need be.
I could be a T-Case Installer By trade for as many times as I have done that. :D
Anyways, if you can find some other reference to your spline count it would be a great T-Case with a minimal amount of work involved.

MIT

I've run the MIT "kit" on my 242 for about four years. Never had a problem. However, I would save my money and do the RE hack and tap and leave that case sealed - the end result is justa about identical. It's a real bitch when you get a small leak due to not getting the RTV just right and have to do it all over again. Plus, there is really nothing you can do strengthwise to a 242, unlike a 231 where it makes sense to install a HD kit.

Nay

Back