• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone running 0* toe?

BALTANAKT

NAXJA Forum User
Going in tomorrow for an alignment. Noticed the outside edges of the tires are getting eaten up quicker than the rest. Considering going 0* toe but could use some first hand impressions from anyone who has done so in an XJ. Figure it might be a little too darty on the highway. Anyone?

Sounds like you may have a negative toe-out to give the ragged
outside edges. I do my own alignments, and the XJ is now set at
1/16" toe-in. This gives an effective 0 toe when at speed on the
road...

Many, many years ago, I took my 88XJ in for a standard alignment. While talking to the garage owner, he informed me of his recent purchase of alignment equipment that gave an itemized print-out. When looked at my printout, specifically the caster angle, I told him that was impossible on my Jeep. Then he asked me what I wanted on my Jeep and I replied "zero toe". That's what I've been running ,with no problems, and I'm over 500,000 miles total mileage. When I replace the tires, the wear is normal.

Best regards,

CJR

Remember that the correct will be based on tire size and "NOT" the factory specs.

Can you elaborate on that? I thought toe was toe regardless of tire size.
Thanks!

The factory spec and alignment places will measure toe in degrees. Spec per the FSM is +.25* (slightly inward toe), with an acceptable range of 0 to +.45*. Driveway alignment with a tape measure is easier to measure inches. Problem is that depends on tire diameter, and if you're measuring difference between front-back of the tire or measuring the difference between center and front, etc.

Turns out I was at nearly 3/4" total toe in. No wonder my tires were getting eaten up.

At 0* now. We'll see how she handles the next few days.

Remember 0* toe stationary will actually be toe out going down the road, hence why 1/16" toe in was mentioned. I too have always run a slight toe in because of this. Not saying you shouldnt run 0* just saying that going down the highway it wont be 0*

Toeing out while cruising is more of an issue for driven wheels, and during hard braking. In general though a slight amount of toe-in reducing wandering and makes it track better.

Yeah, I am used to running 0* on my road cars because I enjoy better turn in. But the XJ has that sweet 90's steering with the super vague center. With 0* toe it definitely wanders around a bit. Next time I will make sure they add a little toe in.

BALTANAKT,

Am I understanding you correctly? You were actually running 3/4" Total Toe and you were only concerned about tire wear. Now you're running zero toe and having "wandering" problems? Maybe you have some other serious suspension issues that need to be taken care of.

Best regards,

CJR

BALTANAKT,

Am I understanding you correctly? You were actually running 3/4" Total Toe and you were only concerned about tire wear. Now you're running zero toe and having "wandering" problems? Maybe you have some other serious suspension issues that need to be taken care of.

Best regards,

CJR

Honestly it's fairly well sorted now and drives great. Especially with the WJ LCA's. Best handling XJ I've ever been in. Just being overly critical is all.

Back