• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Improving ride on a DPG OME lift

Get a pic of your shackle angle.

zVRf2m3

FYI

I just recently installed shackle drop brackets on my 3.5" OME. It appears the angle is better than stock but it's still not near "ideal" 45*. So now I'm about to install SRB from Rough Country (arrived today) to improve shackle angle. Possible downside is the added lift the from the SRB. My lift is 3.75" rear & 4.0" front, fully loaded. I'll post pictures before/after of the SRB. If the look and/or feel is wrong I might go with MetalCloak 4.5" progressive front springs and CAD (Control Arm Drop) brackets. Round and round.

Drop shackles.

fabe081703248a8155c53a313da147a1.jpg
eed83203b9c8cf467eb3b83fd575526d.jpg

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Is it just me or does that leaf pack have twang like a 30year old pack. I see a slight S shape to the main leaf.
Probly isn't why the ride is rough just something I noticed

Is it just me or does that leaf pack have twang like a 30year old pack. I see a slight S shape to the main leaf.
Probly isn't why the ride is rough just something I noticed

Yeah, I see that too. Probably going to end up with new springs all around before this is over. Have a run planned Sunday after Thanksgiving (weather permitting) so will see how it performs/feels then.

OME leaf packs have maybe 500 - 1000 miles max and very little offroad, nothing difficult. 3.5" springs measuring 3.75" with drop shackles and full load of a few hundred pounds.
How's that shackle angle look?

Last edited:
Looks not great. Should be 45 degrees or so back, you’re not quite 90, maybe 70 or so.

SRB go in tomorrow hopefully.

Got to say those RC brackets look scary as hell like most of their products, the SFR brackets are pure beef!

Got to say those RC brackets look scary as hell like most of their products, the SFR brackets are pure beef!

Scary? As in, "HOLY SHIT, somebody's gonna die!" scary?

Yup, if I wanted to spend additional money and take the time for box removal, instead of using a product I've had on the shelf NIB for 10 years, I'd go with the SFR. Apples and oranges maybe? Lift/no lift, bolt in or massage/remove the buckets.
They're both a chunk of 3/16" (or so) steel, bolted to aftermarket nut-strips in what appears to be at least 3 places, both engineered to do a simple task - and my guess is I won't be breaking either with my driving style.

I always appreciate input but please elaborate instead of just dropping a stink bug.:cheers:
Enlighten me please, I'm subject to persuasion.

Last edited:
Death type "scary", the RC kit only bolts on sheet metal with a few bolts. The adjustment rail only bolts on with a couple small bolts all in the same "plane". All that height just adds leverage on that weak material and those few bolts.

I would do a no-lift shackle for sure. As the shackle mount moves further from the body, the ability of the bracket to resist side-to-side bending (think about your XJ parked sideways on a hill) is reduced. It becomes more of a problem if the bracket is made of relatively thin metal. This will add instability to the handling.

And the additional lift makes it more difficult to use an OTS leaf spring. Your goal is to be able to run a longer leaf spring that provides more wheel travel, but you will be challenged to find a OTS long leaf spring that provides minimal lift needed to maintain your target lift of 3.5-4.5".

Death type "scary", the RC kit only bolts on sheet metal with a few bolts. The adjustment rail only bolts on with a couple small bolts all in the same "plane". All that height just adds leverage on that weak material and those few bolts.

So, I didn't even know the brand SRB I had in hand and was watching the RC video for a general idea of mounting. I've now ID'd my SRB as Ironman 4x4 Fab. "These Relocation Brackets are made from 5/16" 100,000 psi Domex steel."

https://ironman4x4fab.com/products/xj-shackle-relocation-brackets

Should I feel better now?

I would do a no-lift shackle for sure. As the shackle mount moves further from the body, the ability of the bracket to resist side-to-side bending (think about your XJ parked sideways on a hill) is reduced. It becomes more of a problem if the bracket is made of relatively thin metal. This will add instability to the handling.

And the additional lift makes it more difficult to use an OTS leaf spring. Your goal is to be able to run a longer leaf spring that provides more wheel travel, but you will be challenged to find a OTS long leaf spring that provides minimal lift needed to maintain your target lift of 3.5-4.5".

If I replace rear springs it will be these:
https://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Mer...creen=PROD&Store_Code=IROR&Product_Code=10437

And they say this: "IMPORTANT PRODUCT NOTE: These springs are longer than the OEM springs. Because of their length, they will require the use of either a lift shackle, boomerang style shackle, or shackle drop/relocation kit."

Not sure if one is preferred over the other.
If I use only the lift shackles I already have I could well end up with a crap angle still, correct?
Boomerang less than ideal?
SRB + stock shackles?

Last edited:
I hope the OP (Roryd89) is getting some worthwhile information from his thread that I seem to have hijacked. Looks like we're in the same boat so to speak.

If I replace rear springs it will be these:
https://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Mer...creen=PROD&Store_Code=IROR&Product_Code=10437

And they say this: "IMPORTANT PRODUCT NOTE: These springs are longer than the OEM springs. Because of their length, they will require the use of either a lift shackle, boomerang style shackle, or shackle drop/relocation kit."

Not sure if one is preferred over the other.
If I use only the lift shackles I already have I could well end up with a crap angle still, correct?
Boomerang less than ideal?
SRB + stock shackles?

Any of the SRBs will allow you to use a non-boomerang shackle, and you should be able to adjust the angle to the range that people like to recommend. But that shackle box will raise the rear about 1" all by itself. A longer shackle, even at a 45 degree angle will add some lift too. So with a "lifted SRB" + aftermarket shackles, total lift will be at least 4.5", and will probably be closer to 5-5.5" inches.

Back