• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Awning advice

devildog0

NAXJA Forum User
Looking at doing a cheap easy awning for the side of the Jeep. I have a full length stock luggage rack which is about 6 feet long. Looking at using something like this

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006JXWCWQ...20&ascsubtag=4a251a2ef9bbf4ccc35f97aba2c9cbda

since plastic tarps are noisy and do not breath. But they are more water proof than most fabric tarps such as the one linked.

I'm not interested in the over priced options such as the roll up awnings that some of the expedition rigs use. This is a poor man's expedition rig so it has to be affordable haha.

I have some KELTY Noah's tarp poles that can be used on the end opposite of the Jeep. and some good guy line material already on hand.

Guess the question is do you think the above linked tarp will be a good option. The way it would be stored is similar to something like the below picture. Basically rolled up and bungied or strapped to the side of the stock rack or the aftermarket basket.

aay.jpg

This would not be a permanent mount. It would be pulled off when not camping or traveling.

Or a more direct question. Standard "plastic" tarp material or water resistant Canvas as an awning?

Back