• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Rear Storage Solution

Sardog1

NAXJA Forum User
Finally got tired of my camping gear and other items being so disorganized in the back of the XJ that I decided to build a fridge slide / storage drawer. Slides lock-in / lock-out and are a bit overkill at being rated at 500lbs. Turned out pretty well, just wish I knew how to weld aluminum as this weighs more than I'd like. Thinking of adding a hinged lid to the drawer for preparing food or spreading maps out on.

Last edited:
Decided on a sliding lid rather than hinged. Both the top of the drawer sides and the bottom of the aluminum angle have UHMW tape on them to make things slide nicely.

Now that is a nice setup. I've tossed around the idea of building a storage cabinet of sorts on my prior XJ. Something about 6 inches tall that would fill up the whole cargo area and double as a sleeping platform. Drawers that slide out from the rear and two up front that slide out of the side doors.

Only problem is the way I was thinking of one it would take up the entire cargo area including having to fold/remove the rear seat. Or another design that would only fill the cargo area with the seats folded up.

Thanks dd0! I removed my rear seat completely, cut a piece of 3/4" plywood to fit and that's where the K-9 rides. At 6'3", sleeping in the back of the XJ just wasn't comfortable for me. Besides, when you add a 70 lb Belgian Malinois, it's hard to get the girlfriend in!

Tall guy problems. I'm only 5' 8" so I fit in the back with the door close corner to corner haha. Throw in the GF and one of her dogs and I have to leave the hatch open. But a storage setup would help flatten everything out a bit.

Now that is a nice setup. I've tossed around the idea of building a storage cabinet of sorts on my prior XJ. Something about 6 inches tall that would fill up the whole cargo area and double as a sleeping platform. Drawers that slide out from the rear and two up front that slide out of the side doors.

Only problem is the way I was thinking of one it would take up the entire cargo area including having to fold/remove the rear seat. Or another design that would only fill the cargo area with the seats folded up.

I really like that set up!
I seen one guy make a removable pass. seat with a bracket then a plywood flip top so he could sleep front to back. He was about 6'4". I built my cabinet with four drawers out of plywood. I felt it would be more cost effective and I could burn it for heat in an emergency! HA! I was going to do side pull out drawers too but opted out. I do not have the bench seat in but can put it in and raise the rear back rest . I made an long air tank to fit at the base of the triangular void between the seat and box to use the space well! I also placed a secondary battery on the top for my rear winch! If interested I can pm u some pics!

Thanks Boss! Sounds like you have a great setup. I need to add OBA next and will likely add it just left of where the fridge goes as sufficient power is close by. What size air tank did you use? Feel free to post a pic.

Back