• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HAM Amateur radio license

I need to do this.

what's on the amateur extra test?

Buncha stuff. Being an EE only the rules/regs really threw me off. Simple AC circuits stuff, complex impedance calcs, etc. Take some practice tests online and see how you do, I think aa9pw still has his practice test site up.

If you can remember ELI the ICE Man and some other basic stuff, and do math, you are capable.

I know you can handle the regulations section because you are an electrician... electricians don't have to deal with any nonsensical regulations.

I picked up the Kenwood TH-F6A been programming in some local repeaters I just can't transmit yet I take the test on Jan 12

Good luck on the test, I'm sure you won't have any problem. Let us know how you like the radio. I still haven't bought one yet and waffling between a 5W HT like the one you have or a higher power mobile unit.

I want to replace my mobile unit with one that is capable is repeating on another channel, that way I can go hiking out with my 5W HT and do simplex to the jeep and then the jeep can go out to the repeaters.

I want to replace my mobile unit with one that is capable is repeating on another channel, that way I can go hiking out with my 5W HT and do simplex to the jeep and then the jeep can go out to the repeaters.

Feel free to play around with my FT-8800 if we're in the same area sometime. That has cross-band repeat.

That Kenwood Im looking at does that.

Congrats Leroy. It was easy, wasn't it? Study hard for the general. I tried taking it several times. But then again, electronics is not my best subject.

I almost passed general cold when I took my tech (didn't study for it). One day I'll study and get my general ticket.

Rainer (Austrian friend) wants me to take general so we can talk over HF. I keep telling him to buy me the HF radio and I'll go pass my general. So far he hasn't taken me up on it.

It'll probably be KJ6xxx where xxx is some sequentially assigned series of letters. For instance I was assigned KB1PPZ when I got my General and KB1PPX/KB1PPY are two friends of mine who took the test at the same time as me.

No telling what the last 3 letters will be till they send it to you or post it online, it's first come first serve in the order they receive and process the license paperwork.

No sign yet I heard it may take a week. Although I did here it will be "KJ6".

It'll take between one and two weeks to hit the FCC database, just check every day.

Try not to get too obsessive about it. :eyes:

My call sign is KZ4DNA. But of course, mine is a vanity call sign. I hated the one that was assigned to me because it was hard to say quickly.

My call sign is KZ4DNA. But of course, mine is a vanity call sign. I hated the one that was assigned to me because it was hard to say quickly.

Johnny really loves genetics.

Back