• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diff covers

Jeepmedic46

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I’m looking to replace my diff covers on my 2000 XJ. Would like to put a heavier duty cover on. Looking for suggestions. I have a D30 and a D35.

x2 on RuffStuff.

I know they used to make a cover for the D35, won one in a raffle back in '08. He was willing to swap it for a D30 for me since I didn't actually have a D35.

If you can't find it on the website, you could always ask them about it.

Have you ever watched Gale Banks youtube videos where he tests aftermarket covers? Most of them made the diff run hotter, caused more aeration of the oil, and decrease the oil flow to the pinion. Especially ones with funky shapes and high fill holes that encouraged overfilling. I wouldn't worry about the diff cover unless you plan on rock crawling and bashing them against rocks.

I like the riddler and poison spyder covers. They’re thick and the hardware is recessed and they’re lower profile than Ruffstuff

Have you ever watched Gale Banks youtube videos where he tests aftermarket covers? Most of them made the diff run hotter, caused more aeration of the oil, and decrease the oil flow to the pinion. Especially ones with funky shapes and high fill holes that encouraged overfilling. I wouldn't worry about the diff cover unless you plan on rock crawling and bashing them against rocks.

Good videos. I shared them with a local Jeep group when we had a rash of folks wanting to get the fancy diff covers.

I was running a Rigid in front and a Ruffstuff in the rear but I recently changed to G2 for their drain, fill, and inspection plugs with magnets.
https://www.g2axle.com/pages/view/hammer

Those look good. I have to say, even though I like the Ruffstuff I'm running, I would seriously consider the G2's if I had to do it over again. The drain plug set up is nice.

Ron, are they lower profile than the Ruffstuff?

Those look good. I have to say, even though I like the Ruffstuff I'm running, I would seriously consider the G2's if I had to do it over again. The drain plug set up is nice.

Ron, are they lower profile than the Ruffstuff?

Yes, they hug very close to the ring gear like a factory one does. They've been on for about 1.5yrs now with lots of hard hits but no leaks but I'm also using the "Lube locker" gaskets.

I like the G2 covers as well.

I'd like one of the Gail Banks covers but I didn't see any listed for the D30 or Chrysler 8.25 last time I checked.

Ruff stuff. Get a live locker gasket and their bolts. You’ll thank yourself. They’re having a sale now.

I bought a stainless steel cover for my Chrysler 8.25, to get rid
of that stupid rubber fill plug. Don't remember the brand, but it
came from Summit. Same shape as stock, but much heavier metal.

I recently bought the ARB front cover to match my rear cover.
I would tell you about how great it is but the guy shipped me an empty box instead.

Still waiting on the paypal dispute so I can buy the ARB one.
it's more expensive but looks better.

I have the rough counrty diff Guard on my front Dana 30 had to cut a small notch in the metal web of the guard because it was blocking the fill plug hole , I have the rough stuff 8.25 cover on the rear very well made.

Who buys a diff guard to look pretty? Mall crawlers.
Buy the ruff stuff one. They have sales every holiday for 15% off. Downside is they don’t always have what you want in stock. I bought their covers for my 1 Ton swap.

I went with Riddler front and rear with lube locker gaskets.

Word of warning, don’t follow the instructions to torque to factory specs. 35 ft lbs is too high, I snapped the head off a bolt and after doing some searching found a lot of people who had the same issue. 25 ft lbs is plenty and some even said that was too much.

I got my G2 covers from 4wheelonline. I love the
built-in fill/drain plug. It's very handy.

A problem with cast aluminum is that its going to crack and break rather than dent. I wouldn't use it if there is an actual chance of it hitting a rock with any force. But the drain and fill are nifty.

Back