• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Time for a new battery in the '91...Questions

BALTANAKT

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '91 XJ, which by my understanding takes a Group 34 battery.

Been looking at this guy: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBP8434

They say it's 10.75" long. My base is only 10.5".

However, I wonder if they are counting the strap fixture on the sides as part of the length, in which case it probably would fit my base.

Q1: Would this battery fit fine?
Q2: Any reason I should avoid 800 CCA's? I live in CO and we do have some cold winter days.

I just replaced my napa 7534 battery it lasted 6 years with the Napa 6534 part # group 34 no problem with the fit on either one the 6534 came with a spacer to sit the battery on for height is needed but it fit fine. Napa battery's are made by deka

I have a 91 as well and i have a group 58 battery, Duracell from batteries plus with 580CCA and it turns the engine over faster then any other xj I've seen. Helps I have 3/0 grounds and 1 gauge starter power wire though! It fits with out modification.

I just replaced my napa 7534 battery it lasted 6 years with the Napa 6534 part # group 34 no problem with the fit on either one the 6534 came with a spacer to sit the battery on for height is needed but it fit fine. Napa battery's are made by deka

Why did you change up for the 6534? Sounds like the 7534 was a good unit.

I have a 91 as well and i have a group 58 battery, Duracell from batteries plus with 580CCA and it turns the engine over faster then any other xj I've seen. Helps I have 3/0 grounds and 1 gauge starter power wire though! It fits with out modification.

I have a 58 right now. Only thing I don't like is how it doesn't fill the battery tray. But I could def use some new cables.

The Napa 7534 currently in my 94 would not fit if I had not previously trimmed it to fit whatever I had in there before. You can never have too many CA/CCA. A "12V" battery is a "12V" battery (excluding not having enough CA/CCA). Consider those with dual, triple, 10x batteries for winching/lights/stereo...

The Napa 7534 currently in my 94 would not fit if I had not previously trimmed it to fit whatever I had in there before. You can never have too many CA/CCA. A "12V" battery is a "12V" battery (excluding not having enough CA/CCA). Consider those with dual, triple, 10x batteries for winching/lights/stereo...
The 94 xj must be a lot different than my 98 the 7534 battery fit just fine, just curious as to what part of the battery did you trim?

I have a cheap Walmart battery in my 89. It starts every time I ask it to. 850 cold cranking amps. I have 4 gauge wire from the battery to the ground and starter.

The 94 xj must be a lot different than my 98 the 7534 battery fit just fine, just curious as to what part of the battery did you trim?

I always wondered why my '96 XJ I used to own took a different battery then my '00 XJ that I own now.
Never did figure out why though.

I removed the side wall of the tray towards the center of the vehicle; slid tight against the outside wall, the battery still overhangs by almost a 1/2". The Upper Radiator Hose sits on the corner of the battery; hasn't worn a hole through, yet... Looking at pictures online, the 97+ routes the hose differently than the earlier models; the hose sits on top of the battery. It looks like the the later model hose would work on the earlier models but I don't see it as being required; it has been just fine the way it is for a number of years now.

Welp, went with a NAPA 7534. Group 34.

Fits my '91 XJ perfectly. No trimming involved.

Figure 690CCA should be a decent improvement over the stock 500 or whatever it was. Now if I can just find my battery bracket!

Back