• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Projext "V8 XJ" Build

So the trans cooler I ordered is pretty big....lol
1D803C53-CD68-4790-8EA6-926B49C3B648_zps8wsjkway.jpg

So the trans cooler I ordered is pretty big....lol
1D803C53-CD68-4790-8EA6-926B49C3B648_zps8wsjkway.jpg

That's slightly larger than the trans cooler I installed (though mine was a stack/plate, which should be more efficient than a fin type), and it's not quite enough under some conditions. I like to keep my trans around 70-80c when possible, and I shut it down if it hits 100c. I know that's a touch paranoid, but whatever.
When wheeling, up a long stretch of hill, in 2wd or 4h, the cooler (plus the cooler in my rad) just isn't quite enough and the temp will continue climbing.
I think it'd be more than sufficient if I could fit a secondary fan behind it, but right now it's relying entirely on the main rad fan (5400CFM), and it's just not quite enough for real heavy duty conditions.

If you haven't already, I'd suggest planning to stick a fan in just for your trans cooler.

Instead of all that trans cooler & a separate fan, perhaps a more modestly sized trans cooler + a cooler installed in the radiator's lower tank?
Even full ton BBC / 4L80E trucks get away with less cooler from the factory and I haven't seen one with a dedicated fan yet. Just a thought.

Instead of all that trans cooler & a separate fan, perhaps a more modestly sized trans cooler + a cooler installed in the radiator's lower tank?
Even full ton BBC / 4L80E trucks get away with less cooler from the factory and I haven't seen one with a dedicated fan yet. Just a thought.

I know very little about auto's, but I definitely get some heat issues. May be due to the very cramped conditions under the hood.
I am using the cooler in my rad, as well as a 10x10" (ish) stacked plate cooler sitting 1/8" in front of my main rad, and it's not quite enough. This may also have a LOT to do with my exhaust being routed so damned close to the trans, but not much can be done about that (exhaust is actually touching the trans heat shield, and only about 1/4" from the frame rail).

That said, my trans temps may be totally acceptable. I know most guys say you can safely run them up to around 120c before having to worry about fluid longevity. I just try to keep mine below 100c because the pan and t-case mating surface start leaking above that temp (yes, easy fix, but I'm lazy and just want to wheel right now).

I'll still be running the factory in radiator cooler as well. Living in Vegas I'll take all the cooling I can get.

I will admit...it's a little big

I'll still be running the factory in radiator cooler as well. Living in Vegas I'll take all the cooling I can get.

I will admit...it's a little big

Since you have room, I would install a fan on the Trans cooler. Maybe, use a fan controller/switch to turn it on/off?

Since you have room, I would install a fan on the Trans cooler. Maybe, use a fan controller/switch to turn it on/off?

I might do that. I may just wire the fan inline with the high on the Taurus fan. I figured if the coolant is getting hot enough for high the transmission could do with the fan on too.

AN lines on everything!!
83744C79-750D-43EB-9076-8EFE7F58CD5C_zpsmdlx3lcq.jpg

Trying to work out how to mount everything. There's not a whole lot of space and I don't think I want to block the end tank. I'm going to start by getting the radiator mounted. Then I'll worry about the cooler.
5FC9D0B9-8252-48C3-8063-F09CE481221A_zpsgkklp9yx.jpg

...or I could mount it ghetto style...
DSC_0970-2.jpg

Last edited:
Trying to work out how to mount everything. There's not a whole lot of space and I don't think I want to block the end tank. I'm going to start by getting the radiator mounted. Then I'll worry about the cooler.
5FC9D0B9-8252-48C3-8063-F09CE481221A_zpsgkklp9yx.jpg

...or I could mount it ghetto style...
DSC_0970-2.jpg

This is hilarious. That is exactly the radiator and trans cooler I have. The rad I foolishly bought from Griffin, with the shroud and fan, which cost an extra $500 for, and their fan is garbage (I think it's like 1800CFM). What a colossal waste of money, considering that radiator assembly was the single most expensive component in my swap. Had I just got a naked rad, I'd have had the swap completed for under $2000 :|.

You've got the exact same stack/plate trans cooler as well, but I found mine in a junk yard for $20, just sorta at random.

I can tell you with fair certainty that if you mount the trans cooler in front of the rad, or right where you have it pictured, your motor will definitely have no cooling issues, while the trans may struggle under extreme circumstances (unless there's just something wrong with my trans). I plan on moving mine exactly how yours is, so I can throw on a second fan behind it.

Make sure you block off the grill on the passenger side. Makes a massive difference in cooling.

I'm also interested to know if you need to cut out your hood to keep the underhood temps down. When I was up the mountain a few days ago, after 2 hours of hard wheeling, we got to the lookout around 10pm and I sat on the hood. Hood barely warm, but my hood vents were too hot to touch comfortably :). They're doing their job.

Last edited:
My hood already has hood vents installed so I think I'll be good on cooling. I'll still have to cut the hood for the intake, but I'll cross that bridge later.

Got my fuel pump!
FE95A55C-9EC0-4123-9383-0368ED9650E7_zpsxjbfgzxm.jpg

Need to get the headers painted and installed so I can finally finish up with getting everything together.
DAF35049-658C-48C2-84C6-5B8245DB9F2D_zpsjlrov8qw.jpg

I don't really have much left:
Paint and install headers
Figure out and Install oil temp sensor
Figure out and install coolant temp sensor
Install fuel pump
Send out harness and ecu
Install transmission to engine then transfer case to transmission
Figure out transmission mount
Figure out power steering lines (I have a hudroboost pump. I know I can cap one line and run the other to the power steering box, but it doesn't have a fitting)

In thinking of tuning out the EVAP and seeing if I can pass smog. If it doesn't work then I'll install the EVAP system.

Does anyone have a Winters/Art Carr shifter? I can't seem to find posts in an XJ. I'd like to retain the stock console and just put the shifter on top of it. I need to take out the center console to see if it would actually fit because the cable for the trans comes out the back of the shifter rather than the front...

I don't know what the smog program in nevada is like but I really can't imagine they'd pass you without EVAP. Without EGR.. maybe if they just do a tailpipe test - maybe... but EVAP is pretty basic. I'd just hook it up to begin with.

I don't know what the smog program in nevada is like but I really can't imagine they'd pass you without EVAP. Without EGR.. maybe if they just do a tailpipe test - maybe... but EVAP is pretty basic. I'd just hook it up to begin with.

In NV, I think we can have one monitor unchecked. So I'll install all O2 sensors and hope that it'll work. I'm obd2

So here's what I'm doing for the fuel tank. There'll be washers and some gaskets in between the nuts.

The punch is where the fuel pump module "cap" will sit. So I'm going to use the nut to tighten every thing down. I'll have two of these. One supply and one return. Hope it works!
084BF21C-EF3F-4C1C-88C8-FDF9980C9010_zpsorjy8dek.jpg

In waiting to drop the fuel tank because I want to get the engine in the bay. To get the engine in i need to figure out oil ten and coolant temp sensors.

Yep so I need to get the engine, trans, and transfer case in the bay.

I realized I can't do much more without it in. I don't want to cut my AN lines because I may have to run them in different ways. I can't mount my radiator because I may have to adjust for clearance.

The only thing I can really do is the pedal, I'm going to start that tomorrow.

Just ordered a 3/8" NTP and 1/8" NTP taps and associated drill bits

Last edited:
Back