• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1997 Shutting down after starting

warrenm

NAXJA Forum User
This has probably been asked before, but I can't find a solution using the search function. I've got a 10/1997 XJ Sport(Australian delivered) that I've owned for the last 5 years. It's had an intermittent fault where it would start then shut down the same as if the Security light is on. In the past if you locked then unlocked via the key fob it would run, the batteries have been replaced in the fobs.

So the fuel pump is ok, 52psi & 250ml in 7 sec, as per the XJ manual. Crank cam sensors appear ok, the engine is starting, just shuts down within seconds.Tested the loom for loose/broken wires, nothing shows up.

I probed the injector wires & when it stops the injectors are turning it off, the ignition is still firing. No codes are showing up with the elcheapo scanner, as well as I have had it scanned with a Snapon unit with no issues detected. The ASD relay is still alive after the engine stops, so it isn't stopping the engine.

My thoughts are the PCM or the Security system. How can I bypass the Security system to eliminate it? I don't have another PCM to swap over & the nearest Jeep dealer is 70 miles away.

Any other thoughts would be much appreciated.

Back