• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Durango Steering Mod

I went to checkers today and they were able to choose a snow plow option on the 98 Durango with a 5.9L
Just a heads up for those that are searching. I get it tomorrow and will post up if all goes well soon. Hopefully I won't have to crack it open!!

Did the snow plow option give you 3.5 or 3 turns lock to lock?
I have the "non-plow" option and i need to do the mod as my turning radius is pathetic at the moment. if the "snow-plow" option gives me the full turning radius, then i'll just exchange the box for the other and bypass the teardown completely.

Thanks. -B

I wonder if there is any way to identify a box as being 'the snow plow option steering gear'
I put my Durango box in a long while back, and my radius seems fine.
However, I don't remember if mine was the snow plow option or not.

It would be great if there was an ID stamped on the unit itself!
Is the only way to know for sure to open it up and check for the spacer?

mine works perfectly without doing this - same range as the stock XJ box more or less

Stock XJ Box:
erakgy.jpg
6nvw2w.jpg

Durango Box:
xf2jdd.jpg
2qascpu.jpg

mine works perfectly without doing this - same range as the stock XJ box more or less

Stock XJ Box:
erakgy.jpg
6nvw2w.jpg

Durango Box:
xf2jdd.jpg
2qascpu.jpg

:doh:

It is luck of the draw.....

if it comes out of a 98 yes. All 99s were the same.

I've heard you need the NON plow box... can anyone comfirm this?

Yeah from what all the forums are saying... Get the one without the plow setup cause it has two spacers on both sides of the cylinder that restrict your steering and have to be removed in order to restore normal lock to lock. Some guys prefer this because the tires they run will rub on LCA or suspension parts, so this prevents that... IMO thats basically the only good reason to go with the plow option, but you could just get wheel spacers if thats a problem... I'm gonna go with the Non plow option 99+ myself.

I've heard you need the NON plow box... can anyone comfirm this?

I went with the NON plow option and will need to remove the spacer and tabs to get my turning radius back. Just trying to determine what the difference is on the plow optioned box. I've "heard" through the grapevine that it is tapped for hydro lines, but don't take that as gospel. whether or not the turning radius is better, is yet to be determined as far as i know. -B

Mystery Solved!!!

I swapped out the Durango box without the snowplow option for the one WITH the snowplow option...WOW! Turning radius is back AND i can turn the 35" MT/R Kevlar's mounted on 15x10 steelies with one finger! Feels like i'm running 25" tires! Amazing!
Part#277580 No need to do any mod to this box. Thus the PLOW option IS the you want and NOT the other way around. I have personally ran both now. This box with an 04 WJ pump is awesome! -B

PS: neither box is pre-tapped for hydro.

Last edited:
weird...mine's for sure a non-plow (99 Durango) and it had the same effects. Maybe the other one was not holding enough pressure?

weird...mine's for sure a non-plow (99 Durango) and it had the same effects. Maybe the other one was not holding enough pressure?

No , it was fine, just felt the same as the old xj box, no worse, no better. The amount of turns from lock to lock on the non-plow is 2 15/16, and for the Plow it is 3 3/8. the throw is definitely greater on the plow box. it never made sense why the nonplow would be the recommended one. seems if a plow is on the front you'd need more power, which this box has in spades! -B

Mystery is not solved. People have purchased both options (w/ And without the snowplow option) and have had randomly different boxes either the 3 or 3.5 turns. The last one I bought was with the snowplow and it came 3 turns lock to lock.

It has been luck of the draw with these things.

I don't actually know what the one in my jeep is. I got it secondhand from a friend and threw it in and it works, so I didn't mess with it any further. I suppose I could count turns of the steering wheel but that would require me to remember next time I'm in it.

Mystery is not solved. People have purchased both options (w/ And without the snowplow option) and have had randomly different boxes either the 3 or 3.5 turns. The last one I bought was with the snowplow and it came 3 turns lock to lock.

It has been luck of the draw with these things.

Well as far as i'm concerned it is. if you buy a reman using the part # 277580 you will get the plow option with the benefits i mentioned.
if you buy the reman using part# 277588, you will get the non-plow with the bad turning radius and less power. plain and simple. after buying and trying both part numbers i can attest to this. one thing to note; there is no difference in the numbers stamped on the case, so if you grab your box from the wrecker you won't know which is which until you try the gear itself. but if you buy a reman using the correct part number, i'm betting you'll see the same results. i also found that the plow option is only available on the 98 Durango and not the 99. -B

Back