• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SierraFest and the Rubicon in August

the_weirdo

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
*Edited 2/26 to match the Sierra Chapter dates on the Rubicon*

Anyone want to come on a sweet adventure to run 3 great trails in CA? Deer Valley, the Rubicon, and Slickrock are fun trails.

Sat Aug 2nd - leave Seattle around 9am and drive 8-10 hours to south OR or northern CA. Find a hotel or campsite to stay at
Sun Aug 3rd - wake up and finish the drive to the Loon Lake entrance of the Rubicon trail (assume 6 hrs drive)
Mon Aug 4th - run the first 1/2 of the Rubicon trail to Buck Island Lake
Tus Aug 5th - run the next 1/4 of the Rubicon trail to Rubicon Springs
Wed Aug 6th - run the last 1/4 of the trail and come out the Tahoma (Lake Tahoe) side of the trail. Stay at a hotel to get a shower and wash clothes (Super 8)
Thu Aug 7th - restock supplies and drive to Deer Valley (Hermit Valley campground)
Fri Aug 8th - run either Deer Valley or Slickrock trails
Sat Aug 9th - run either Deer Valley or Slickrock trails
Sun Aug 10th - pack up and start the drive home, go as far as possible and maybe get a hotel room.
Mon Aug 11th - finish the drive home if needed

Last edited:
josh, where would you be camping for these nights? Id be bringing my trailer if I go. I know some people camp on the trail, ive never been o the area and would have my son with me. Im curious on what this would actually take for me. I have family in san-Jose also, so id either follow you down and then out to the proposed area. OR, meet you somewhere in the rubicon area on the 5th.

Bronze.

josh, where would you be camping for these nights? Id be bringing my trailer if I go. I know some people camp on the trail, ive never been o the area and would have my son with me. Im curious on what this would actually take for me. I have family in san-Jose also, so id either follow you down and then out to the proposed area. OR, meet you somewhere in the rubicon area on the 5th.

Bronze.

At Deer Valley there is a huge campsite where you can fit dozens of trailers. It is called Hermit Valley and it is located at the base of the Deer Valley trail. This is the campsite that NAXJA takes over for SierraFest.

The Rubicon is a little tougher situation because we would be camping on the trail for probably 2 nights. You have two options for the Rubicon. First option is to park your trailer at the Loon Lake entrance, run the trail all the way to the end that lets out in Tahoma (at West side of Lake Tahoe), then drive your Jeep 2-3 hours back on the road to your trailer. Second option is to run half of the Rubicon, then turn back and go back out to your trailer.

a couple of us from socal are talking about running the rubicon after sierrafest

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1109207

if I am going to make the drive to the rubicon I am for sure going to hit sierrafest on the way.

Nice! My schedule for this trip is adjustable, I don't care much if I run Rubicon first or last. I'm also getting a group with my dad and brother to go so my schedule will likely line up with theirs. If they bow out I'll likely meet up with you SoCal guys.

Bronze.

Been wanting to do this for years, but we have a pop-up. Most of our other camping gear is gone. Be in the same boat as Bronze.

I would also need input and some critiquing over what would need to be done to my Jeep. To work this one out, I have to start planning now and put in for the time off immediately...

Been wanting to do this for years, but we have a pop-up. Most of our other camping gear is gone. Be in the same boat as Bronze.

I would also need input and some critiquing over what would need to be done to my Jeep. To work this one out, I have to start planning now and put in for the time off immediately...

Don't let the pop-up tent stop you from coming. We can easily figure out a way to meet back up if one group goes all the way through and one group goes back to the Loon Lake entrance.

I'm more than happy to give recommendations on Jeeps but the overall picture goes like this:
a) 33" tires minimum is highly recommended, AT or MT tires doesn't matter. It can be done on 31's but you are more likely to get body damage
b) Deeper diff gearing than stock. Can be done on stock gears but will be harder on the vehicle.
c) Good differential skids and a Transfer case skid
d) Rock sliders
e) Upgraded steering: ZJ tie-rod at a minimum
f) CB
g) Spares: driveshafts, axle shafts, ujoints, belts, hoses, unit bearing, etc. You can get to a parts store but it is a long drive.
h) The usual first aid kit, fire extinguisher, sunscreen, etc.
i) A good attitude
j) A rig in good general condition - this trek is roughly 1900 miles in a week which includes 3 good trails. Don't bring junk.

Don't let the pop-up tent stop you from coming. We can easily figure out a way to meet back up if one group goes all the way through and one group goes back to the Loon Lake entrance.

I'm more than happy to give recommendations on Jeeps but the overall picture goes like this:
a) 33" tires minimum is highly recommended, AT or MT tires doesn't matter. It can be done on 31's but you are more likely to get body damage
b) Deeper diff gearing than stock. Can be done on stock gears but will be harder on the vehicle.
c) Good differential skids and a Transfer case skid
d) Rock sliders
e) Upgraded steering: ZJ tie-rod at a minimum
f) CB
g) Spares: driveshafts, axle shafts, ujoints, belts, hoses, unit bearing, etc. You can get to a parts store but it is a long drive.
h) The usual first aid kit, fire extinguisher, sunscreen, etc.
i) A good attitude
j) A rig in good general condition - this trek is roughly 1900 miles in a week which includes 3 good trails. Don't bring junk.

Thank you
Been running 32's, but working on pushing up to 33's. Only issue I find, is possibly the steering on the list. Everything else is in the works or done. Need to collect spare parts...

32"s would be do-able, 33"s would be better. I reccomend at least one locker

looking into this more, id want to leave my trailer at the loon lake entrance, load the jeep with a night or two worth of stuff. hit trail and thn come back around to pickup the trailer. from there it would be off to deer valley?The other option I see is just meeting the group at deer valley for the fest. I really would hesitate (myself) to trek all that way and NOT do the rubi... :hang:

looks like I got the list covered minus a couple EZ things. 1900miles is a chunk of fuel, piggy bank don't fail me now!

Bronze

looking into this more, id want to leave my trailer at the loon lake entrance, load the jeep with a night or two worth of stuff. hit trail and thn come back around to pickup the trailer. from there it would be off to deer valley?The other option I see is just meeting the group at deer valley for the fest. I really would hesitate (myself) to trek all that way and NOT do the rubi... :hang:

looks like I got the list covered minus a couple EZ things. 1900miles is a chunk of fuel, piggy bank don't fail me now!

Bronze

Yep, if you leave your trailer at Loon Lake we could double-back and get it, then head over to Deer Valley which is probably a 2 hour drive from the Rubicon trail exit in Tahoma (west coast of Lake Tahoe), maybe 4-5 hours if we backtrack to get trailers at Loon Lake.

See the map at: http://www.bing.com/maps/?FORM=Z9LH...lJTJDJTIwQ0FfX19lXyZtb2RlPUQmcnRvcD0wfjB+MH4=
The Rubicon Trail start at Loon Lake at location B. The trail runs from location B to location A. When we come out at location A we need to drive back around to location B to get the trailers, then go to location C which is close to Deer Valley.

Don't forget front and rear tow points!

I made the trek down for this last year, and it was a blast. The SC crew is a great bunch.

Read the TORXreport HERE.

I am going to try and make it down again this year.

very well documented dustin, I have been studying... im not saying im in at this point, but im sighting in on it.

Bronze.

I just had to cancel my EJS trip because of work.. Now I'm even more interested in this trip..

I think my plan is to rock the jeep and camping gear.. No towrig/camper

The Sierra Chapter has posted dates for the Rubicon and Deer Valley portions of Sierra Fest: http://naxja.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=341. You can find the rig requirements and other details in that forum.

Here's my plan:

Sat Aug 2nd - leave Seattle around 9am and drive 8-10 hours to south OR or northern CA. Find a hotel or campsite to stay at
Sun Aug 3rd - wake up and finish the drive to the Loon Lake entrance of the Rubicon trail.
Mon Aug 4th - run the first 1/2 of the Rubicon trail to Buck Island Lake
Tus Aug 5th - run the next 1/4 of the Rubicon trail to Rubicon Springs
Wed Aug 6th - run the last 1/4 of the trail and come out the Tahoma (Lake Tahoe) side of the trail. Stay at a hotel to get a shower and wash clothes (Super 8)
Thu Aug 7th - restock supplies and drive to Deer Valley (Hermit Valley campground)
Fri Aug 8th - run either Deer Valley or Slickrock trails
Sat Aug 9th - run either Deer Valley or Slickrock trails
Sun Aug 10th - pack up and start the drive home, go as far as possible and maybe get a hotel room.
Mon Aug 11th - finish the drive home if needed

It is possible to tow a camping trailer but it will make the logistics a bit more difficult, so be sure that you are serious if you plan to bring a trailer. Also note that we will be going over mountain passes at nearly 9,000 feet elevation (Ebbetts Pass on Hwy 4). Even non-towing rigs tend to run very hot in the Sierras due to all the elevation changes, so be extra sure your XJ can tow your camper without overheating. Some of the grades are very steep and take 30-45 minutes to climb.

Just some info. We travel from Arlington, WA to Medford, Or every year. We tow a trailer and it takes us 10 to 11 hrs with stopping. We do tow a little slower then most 60mph but that should give you an idea where you will end up the first night. If you drive 70mph you will end up 100 miles further south. That way you can plan your first destination.

This trip has been on my mind a lot lately. I'm going to be putting in for the vacation time this week. I'm really looking forward to getting back down to Cali.

IMG_0200.jpg

August is still a ways out, and there's plenty of time between our own NorthwestFest and SierraFest to recover, make it happen folks!

I think I'm in. I haven't been on the 'con since 2011, its due.

I might skip the slickrock / DV portion, and roll to Fordyce - because its my favorite trail and the water should be wicked low.

I have leave approved. :greensmok

We've got about 8 weeks to go. If you are interested in going and plan to caravan down with me - please copy the list and add your name and where you live so that I can put together a timeline/meeting place to get things semi-planned.

Here are the event rules and min requirements for the Rubicon portion of the trail: http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1109602

Caravan:
1. "the_weirdo", Issaquah, WA

Back