• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rock Lights

Cresso

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking for suggestions on mounting rock lights. I purchased a pair of those cheapy Autozone Baja lights and they sure looked small in the store, but dadgum it, I can't find any good places to put 'em. In the front, the only two places I see are right in the corners behind the turn signal and in the other front corner kinda where the battery tray is on one side and airbox is on the other. Both of these places put the lights directly in harms way of the tire.

The choices for places along the rockers in order to light up the rear tires are even more limited. These damn XJs are tucked up so well that virtually any mount would make the lights hit the ground before the rock sliders. I have a harebrained idea of cutting light-sized holes in the floor and mounting the lights inside, but I have obvious reservations about that. I've also seen a write-up where someone used white neon from the lowrider scene, but I'm not convinced those shed enough light.

Any suggestions?

rock-lights are actually a very very good thing. so your spotters can see those rocks right below your undercarriage..so u dont jack something up..i know mine have come in handy quite a few times.

Brad

I'm not a big fan of mounting much on the roof. Plus, even if they're aimed right in front of the rig, it'd blind my spotter. I've been on the trail with several people running under-carriage rock lights and once you have them, they become almost indispensable for night wheeling. Of course I've never seen them on an XJ...can't find a place to mount them.

bradlyw, you seem to imply that you have them. Where'd you mount them?

Cresso said:
it'd blind my spotter.

What's a spotter?!? :D
I liked the "stadium" style setup last weekend but for a more permanent solution I'm going to mount them inside the fenders(like Porch Puppy did) since I don't have an inner liner. He also mounted a pair in the back attached to his shock mount(hoop) and one little one on the driver's side knuckle so it pointed where the wheels were pointed, pretty slick setup if ya ask me.

Jes

Can you elaborate on this "inside the fender" mount? I didn't see too many places other than what i mentioned that would actually light up something useful and not get hit by the tire. I do not have a the fender liner either. Pics would be even better. Thanks!

Directly above the tire, bolted to the inner fender pointing down. The little 3"X5-3/4" lights fit there perfectly assuming you have the old style XJ that doesn't have the window washer reservoir there.

Jes

I thought about up in the fenders, but the first mudhole would render them useless.

I may rig a bracket on the drivers side mirror & run the wire through the vent window... just reach out & aim it where needed... don't have a need for one on the passenger side since I can't see over there anyway.

rock lights

anybody thought about the usefullness of police style A-pillar lights for this would that give the adjustability and protection? just a thought. John

My rock lights are bolted through the front crossmember and angled back and out. They work pretty well for lighting up underneath on the trail, stay out of the way of everything, and are indespensable for those late night fluid changes. I also have 1 light mounted in the center rear below the back seat. It's in front of the axle, and off center so the driveshaft dosen't hit it. That one is aimed at the rear diff, since it's the lowest thing back there now that the shocks are relocated.

I mounted some crappy fogs that were given to me where the stock front skid bolts on the radiator support, not really in the way because they are mounted horizontally. They are about 5-6" fogs that I wired to the stock fog wiring. They work pretty well.
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Back