• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Off road lights as driving lights?

coldoath

NAXJA Forum User
Question: Can you use off road lights as normal driving lights? I know you wouldn't be able to get a high and low but jw.

Reason for question:
3front.jpg

file.php

would check with the local laws. but couldnt you just swap em out as needed. nice rig!

Doubt it. Those guys obviously don't drive on the street much. Offroad lights don't have a cutoff so you don't blind the people in front of you.

^^ Totally agree with the above. Road lights have a beam cut off which prevent on coming traffic from getting blinded and crashing... possibly into you. I wouldn't do it, even if you aimed them down it'd still likely blind oncoming cars.

Looks to me like both never see the street and wanted offroad lights. They had no need for street/factory lights so they filled the factory holes with offroad lights. Just my guess.

My offroad lights are driving lights. :dunno:

Are you asking if you can replace your headlights with offroad lights? The answer would be no. Notice how both vehicles have cages replacing the stock front body work? As others have already said, chances are good they aren't street driven rigs.

Are you asking if you can replace your headlights with offroad lights? The answer would be no. Notice how both vehicles have cages replacing the stock front body work? As others have already said, chances are good they aren't street driven rigs.

Yea that seems to be the conclusion.

Hella makes these that have low and high beams: http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lighting-...4730&t_pl=9695

Guessing I could just use those if I ever decide to go this route?

You mean you guess you could just use a DOT approved round headlight? Because that's what that is. ;) That's a replacement headlight for a TJ or other round headlight vehicle. Much like the H4 upgrade for our XJs.

my dads been running 55 watt KC daylights as headlights in his flat fender since he was 16. Just get the flutted lense and you should be ok. 55 watt is the highest power bulb you can legally have for headlights

My project jeep (new to me) has been licensed and inspected here in TX for on road. As you can see it also has fog lights... the "headlights" are driving lights IPF I think. heck I've never known an inspector to check headlights beyond just turning them on ;)

Not sure how much driven at night on road but I will ask previous owner.

front1.jpg

My project jeep (new to me) has been licensed and inspected here in TX for on road. As you can see it also has fog lights... the "headlights" are driving lights IPF I think. heck I've never known an inspector to check headlights beyond just turning them on ;)

Not sure how much driven at night on road but I will ask previous owner.

front1.jpg
Those headlights just look like a round headlight conversion. Much like the Hellas coldoath pointed out, they would appear to be an aftermarket headlight to allow you to run H4 bulbs in place of the sealed beam. They come in rectangle to be a direct swap for our stock lights as well.

XJRunner, just because your dad does it, doesn't make it right. Most states likely have laws on the books stating that an off-road, driving, or fog light is not a proper substitute for a headlight. Many states even disallow their use on the road period, even in conjunction with headlights, so I doubt that your dad's lack of ticketing has been due to any inherent legality.

Last edited:
Back