• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thread Pitch for Shift Knob?

NHxj4x4

NAXJA Member #1132
Guys,

My buddy has a 90 XJ 5spd. hat is the thread size for the 5 speed? The knob ripped off today, and the universal ones never stay on right either. So I wanna get a threaded replacement. I've seen tp possibles, 10mmx1.5 or 3/8 course.

Whatcha think?

Todd

NHxj4x4 said:
Guys,

My buddy has a 90 XJ 5spd. hat is the thread size for the 5 speed? The knob ripped off today, and the universal ones never stay on right either. So I wanna get a threaded replacement. I've seen tp possibles, 10mmx1.5 or 3/8 course.

Whatcha think?

Todd

there are no threads on the shaft, at least not on my 91. Just pops on. If you tap your end to fit the new knob great. otherwise ratchet it down every 2 weeks.

Rabbi, do you have a 5-speed? All years are threaded. I use the knobs for the 2000 to retrofit '88s when the old style knobs self-destruct. The tread is metric, but I don't recall what it is. 10mm sounds right.

Well you could also do what I did. (91XJ) Took a chunk of nice hardwood (I used walnut) drilled a hole in it and headed to the bandsaw and belt sander. Finished it up with sandpaper and a little watco oil. Take the center metal threaded piece from your blown up old shifter and epoxy it in there with some good 2 part epoxy. Beautiful shifter! This is after blowing up 3 of those shifters. Custom is always the best! I have an 8-ball version I throw on every now and then as well. Have fun- - TJ

Good one truckeejeeper, I was wondering when it would come around to the DIY stuff :clap: . I got tired of breaking store-bought shift knobs so I ended up taking a silver plated antiqe brass doorknob (from the wife's stash of reno supplies and living to tell about it) and threading it to match the shift lever...indestructible. The thread pitch? I don't remember :doh:

Back