• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swapping out a D35 with ABS??

ChuckstrPT

NAXJA Member #791
How much trouble is this? Swapping out a Dana 35 with ABS?? Is there an issue with the other axle and ABS compatibility?? Can I just pull a fuse to disable the ABS, and swap away?? The reason- I've found a 99 with EVERYTHING I want, and reasonable mileage, but WITH ABS and the Dana 35. So How much more work is it, than a simple axle swap???
Thanks in advanced,
Andy

jsut cut the abs lines!!!! it works!!! :rof:

stoney

There is 2 active threads on junking ABS on a D35. What happens when you just cut the lines? Does anyone have confirmed success with getting rid of the ABS and junking the D35 for something stonger. 3 kids and grumpy wife don't allow for brake failure while wheeling.

Choad

IntrepidXJ said:
the axle he wants to swap in might not support abs
That is exactly the point. I'd like a stonger axle than the d35. But I don't think the new axle will have any ABS bracket/sensors with it, nor would I like to be adapting these. I have no problems with ABS. But I can't have ABS and get an 8.25 at the same time. And I think that's probably enough axle for what I'll be doing. I'm not so sure about the d35. I have my doubts about it with serious wheeling stresses and 33's. So, if I get an XJ with a d35 for the right price, can I "easily" swap axles? or will it screw with the braking of the truck? I'm guessing the swap would either be to a 8.25, or a D44, which ever was available for the right price.
Thanks,
Andy

ChuckstrPT said:
That is exactly the point. I'd like a stonger axle than the d35. But I don't think the new axle will have any ABS bracket/sensors with it, nor would I like to be adapting these. I have no problems with ABS. But I can't have ABS and get an 8.25 at the same time. And I think that's probably enough axle for what I'll be doing. I'm not so sure about the d35. I have my doubts about it with serious wheeling stresses and 33's. So, if I get an XJ with a d35 for the right price, can I "easily" swap axles? or will it screw with the braking of the truck? I'm guessing the swap would either be to a 8.25, or a D44, which ever was available for the right price.
Thanks,
Andy

Hi Andy,

I'm with you on running 33's with the D35. I know several people who have broken multiple axle shafts running this combination with a Detroit. Do you have an XJ now? You mentioned buying and XJ with a D35 if the price was right.

Choad

choad said:
Do you have an XJ now? You mentioned buying and XJ with a D35 if the price was right.
Hey Choad,
I don't have one, But I am in hot pursuit. I've got 2 months before I turn in a lease, and I'd like it before then. I found a truck with EVERYTHING I want, but the D35/ABS. It's killing me. But I'd prefer not to mess with axle swaps if I don't need to. It's just been challenging finding prospects that are within a reasonable drive from me to purchase. How's Ukiah? I graduated from SFSU in '91, and had a friend from that little town!
Andy

Ukiah is great. Not too many XJ fanatics though. Where are you from?

I've been wheeling my XJ for about a year with 3" of lift, 31" rubber and open diff's. I think I could run 33's without problems if I kept my foot off the skinny pedal. My problem is I want a locker with 33's and I know this is a deadly combination. I want to swap in a Ford 8.8 from an Exploder. They are really cheap and easy to swap if you don't have ABS.

choad said:
Ukiah is great. Not too many XJ fanatics though. Where are you from?
QUOTE]
My family is in SoCal. I'm now located in Alabama. Not much to pick from around here for wheeling. This past year I sold my Samurai of 14 years :tear: ....and I'm itching to hit the trail. Now've we've had our first child, so we need 4 doors, hence the XJ.
Andy

I unplugged all the electrical connections to my ABS on my '92 XJ 4.0 with an auto trans. Haven't noticed any different brake performance. I let the hydraulic plumbing alone. It is still in factory configuration. Just unplugged the electrical.

I've thought about the Exploder swap. Has anyone posted swapping instructionis on the www anywhere?

Search past threads. I saw one that had a link to a good article with lot's of pictures. M.O.R.E (Mountain Off Road Engineering) has install kits and could provide info on the swap.

Which electrical connections did you disconnect. Were they just the plugs on the ABS pump?

Choad

I unplugged all wiring to the ABS unit. As I recall, there were two different cable bundles, both of which had a connector that I unplugged. My 'check ABS' light on the dash board is now continuously on but I haven't had any other ABS problems.

Maybe the safest thing is also to re-plumb the hydraulic lines so as to exclude the ABS entirely. This is relatively easy on my '92 since the ABS unit appears to be a self-contained motor assembly mounted on the driver's side shock tower, just in front of the brake vaccum boster. Two lines run from master cylinder to the unit and three exit the unit, one to each front wheel and one to the rear pair. Everything's right there so some manifold arrangement could be made to exclude the ABS.

Here's a rundown of the info I've collected so far for some models of '92 XJ's thru "95 XJ's:
1: pull the ABS connectors off of the ABS assembly next to the MC.
2: unplug the ABS computer.
3: pull the ABS fuse to disable the ABS system.
4: pull the ABS relay to disable the ABS Light.
5: "just cut the ABS wires"(NOT GONNA TRY THIS ONE! Disconnecting is always better than cutting when unsure of something.)
6: combinations of #1 and #2 have been done together.
7: combinations of #3 and 4 have been done together.

I'll try all of these suggestions individually(except #5), then take a test drive between each test. Once I'm done I'll post the results.

My Cherokee has a total of 3 ABS fuses and 3 ABS relay. That's a lot of combinations! Am I sure I want to do this???

Choad

i cut the lines 2 years ago haven't had a problem with them one bit no abs light nothing!!!!!!!!! but pulling the fuse works too!!!

stoney

The way I understand it the wires going to the wheels is just a speed sensor. The computer uses that info from each wheel to tell the ABS pump when to kick in and pulse the brakes. Disconnecting the wires will not affect normal braking but may stop the ABS system from working, and turn on your ABS light. Check to make sure you wont fail inspection for that (remove the light or tape it over with black tape if so).

this one's easy.....

if you follow the abs lines of the rear axle back into the jeep, they go up and into a hole that is under the carpeting under the rear seat. the rear abs module is there. just pull out the wires at the module and you don't have to cut anything. the wires will then just come out with the axle.

then all you have to do open up the dash, pull out the gauge cluster and take out the bulb that lights up the abs warning light.

no OBDII code is thrown.

choad said:
Here's a rundown of the info I've collected so far for some models of '92 XJ's thru "95 XJ's:
1: pull the ABS connectors off of the ABS assembly next to the MC.
2: unplug the ABS computer.
3: pull the ABS fuse to disable the ABS system.
4: pull the ABS relay to disable the ABS Light.
5: "just cut the ABS wires"(NOT GONNA TRY THIS ONE! Disconnecting is always better than cutting when unsure of something.)
6: combinations of #1 and #2 have been done together.
7: combinations of #3 and 4 have been done together.

I'll try all of these suggestions individually(except #5), then take a test drive between each test. Once I'm done I'll post the results.

My Cherokee has a total of 3 ABS fuses and 3 ABS relay. That's a lot of combinations! Am I sure I want to do this???

Choad

Well the weekend is over and I'm done trying stuff for now. Disabling the ABS on my 1995 XJ can be done several ways. Every suggested I tried worked.

I did each suggestion one by one then halled A-- down the street and slammed on the brakes between each test. Every time the brakes would lock up. Normal braking seemed to be fine. I live in a residential neighborhood and my neighbors must think I'm nuts. Anyway, the only problem I found was I could not get the ABS light to turn off. Previous suggestions led me to believe the light would turn off by pulling the ABS or ABS pump relay. Doesn't work in mine.

The easiest way to disable the ABS in my rig is to pull the ABS fuse. I'll disconnect the rear ABS wires and remove them when I install an 8.8 rear. I'll post an update after a few days of driving with the fuse pulled.

Hope this helps those who are trying to find answers to this problem. Not all ABS systems are the same. I only know what seems to be working on mine.

Choad

Back