• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

beater!

Only recent mod is that I swapped in a 136 amp ZJ alternator. I also looked at the NSS and decided to pass on cleaning it for now.

I've spent the past week working on getting the S-10 seat brackets engineered. They may be too wide to go down past the hump far enough. I'm going to the welding shop tomorrow and see if I can knock that out.

I'm trying to find a place to paint the jeep. Unfortunately I will have to do it in the yard, since the garage space is not available. I'm looking at buying a 12x20 portable garage like this one, for use as a paint booth:

dakota.jpg

It'll cost $400 give or take $100 and will take a couple of weeks to deliver by truck. I have not bought paint yet, since I don't know if I'll have a place to do it.

what wrong with electric blue? Mine jeep came from the factory with the midnight blue and someone before me painted it electric blue. It also had lots of chrome on it when I bought it.
2523955_2_full.jpg

I got the seat brackets mostly finished and the seats are installed.

Here is the driver's side seat

left-installed-1.JPG

Here are a couple of shots of the passenger side controls--it is as far back and as far over as it can go (limited by B-pillar), and it clears the map pocket okay.

right-installed-1.JPG

right-installed-2.JPG

I have to do some a little more work then will post a write-up.

have you looked at costco for one of those car ports?
they're pretty cheap there and then you could just pick it up

I did some more cleanup work, replaced the serp belt with a new one, and replaced the Accel plugs from their tune-up kit with Champion Truck Plugs (no noticeable difference; still has the same slight skip it's always had). Ordered some more replacement parts too.

I am trying to find another garage where I can swap the rear floor pan and paint the body but not having any luck.

I decided that the floorpan was beyond my abilities so I'm having a friend with a body shop do the work for me. Here are some pics from this morning.

We did not chop out the whole floorpan but instead just cut out the deck area with the rust. This way we don't have to mess with the seat brackets and all that crap.

Rear_Removed.jpg

Rear_Seat_Removed.jpg

Unfortunately there is another rust hole by the rear left door which he forgot about

Brian.jpg

Here is the replacement floorpan--it looks and feels like factory (because it is factory) with all the holes in the right places. You can see a snip on the right side where the decking is being cut to overlay the cutout. We also cut off the left dogleg to use as a patch for the forgotten spot.

Replacement_Floorpan.jpg

Some good news too--I pulled the shock bolts while the floorpan off just in case we had to weld new nuts on and they all four came out real smooth.

Here's a pic of the decking installed... lots of spot welds and edge folding and seam sealer, plus they cleaned up some of the spot welds around the wheel well from the rear-end collision. They are using the "hump" part of the replacement floorpan to repair the gas fill shield.

Rear_Installed.jpg

This is a top-down view of the left rear door area showing the dog-leg patch in mid-install, and another rust hole that was found by the front-rear seam. You can also see where the rear deck was joined to the existing floorpan in the upper right corner of the picture.

Rear_Side_View.jpg

A shot of the mandatory 3M undercoating

Undercoating.jpg

I should have it back tomorrow sometime

Last edited:
I got the Jeep back on Thurs. Today I started tackling the front floorpan, which had some pretty heavy surface rust, and also had some problems that I wanted to address.

First I cleaned it really good with vacuum cleaner and mineral spirits, then used a basic wire brush on the drill to knock the paint down. Then I used one of those 3M Rust and Paint Stripper pads to get as much of the rust off as I could, then used some Klean-Strip Rust Converter to neutralize what was left. Here is what the front floorpan looked like after that.

Front_Converted.jpg

Here's a close-up of the passenger's side front. All the black areas are where the Rust Converter has changed rust to primer.

Front_Right_Converted.jpg

After the rust converter dried, I cut some patches from leftover metal and glued them over some unused drain holes and some areas that had developed pinhole rust. Then I covered the whole floorpan with Rustoleum Automotive Primer.

Front_Primed.jpg

Front_Primed_2.jpg

We should get three consecutive days of nice weather on Wednesday so I will do the Herculiner then.

Last rain was yesterday morning so I did my masking and pegging yesterday afternoon.

Herculiner_Prep.jpg

I masked off the shifters and used toothpicks to peg the screw holes.

Herculiner_Prep_Shifter.jpg

Did a final vacuum and a wipe-down with Xylene this morning. Man that Xylene stuff is strong... it really knocked the primer down.

Herculiner_Prep_Xylene.jpg

Couple of hours later and it was pretty much done.

Herculer_Applied.jpg

Here's the driver's floorpan and shifter area

Herculer_Applied_Shifter.jpg

When I did the floorpan work, I noticed that the two deck fill plates behind the back seat were rotted out pretty bad, so I picked up some replacements from the junkyard yesterday. I used the very last bit of Herculiner to give the top of those two good coats (will paint the bottoms).

Herculer_Deck_Plates.jpg

Here it is all done with the tape and toothpicks removed. There was a wee bit of overspill under the tape in a couple of areas but not bad, and it should clean up with Xylene and a paint scraper pretty well.

Herculer_Done.jpg

Here is the shifter area, it mostly survived too.

Herculer_Done_Shifter.jpg

If the nice weather holds up and I can keep the windows down, the Jeep should be driveable in about four days.

Next month I will get some of that vinyl/rubber floor covering and then start reinstalling the trim pieces. I have to do some additional electrical work (run a third brake light and some work lights to the hatch, etc), and I also plan to get the door panels covered in a charcoal vinyl, so the interior won't be fully finished for a while yet.

ps--I did not get any on my hootus, but I did get some on my cheek and nose. I washed my hands with Xylene to get the excess off there, an used a little bit on my nose but the fumes started burning my eye pretty bad so I abandoned that. I guess I will have a couple of beauty marks for a while.

Last edited:
Since it's still drying and airing out I decided to do some more work. Most important was making sure that hardware went back where it should, so I put the major interior pieces back in (seats, spare tire, etc,. but no trim).

A little while ago I bought a charcoal leather rear seat out of an older Limited from fellow NAXJA member 90PioSport99 (great deal at $40), and I got that installed without much hassle (only had to drill out a frozen nut and replace a latch). They are almost exactly the same color as the front S-10 seats and look just natural. They have carpet on the back and I want to get that replaced with heavy vinyl, then weld some nuts to the frame, and bolt a piece of Herculined sheet metal to the back of it so that it is the same as the deck, but that will all have to wait a bit.

New_Rear_Seat.jpg

I was at the local truck junkyard recently looking for third brake lights that might work on the XJ, and found some massive steel tie-downs in a Chevy Tahoe (I think), which I also installed today. These are nothing at all like the stock tie-downs and almost ridiculous in their heft. Right now they are screwed into the floorpan but I will add some nuts on the bottom soon.

Tahoe_Tie_Downs.jpg

Close-up view of a tie-down--that's a Torx T55 bolt, the same as the seat belts, btw

Tahoe_Tie_Downs_Close_Up.jpg

I had planned on replacing the old gas tank when I did the floorpan work, but since I had somebody else do that work I didn't do it until today. Here is the old tank, with major rust.

Old_Gas_Tank.jpg

Here is the new tank, after I masked it off and hit it with 3M underbody spray

New_Gas_Tank.jpg

I also bought new straps because the old ones had rusted through in a couple of spots, and coated those with 3M underbody spray as well

New_Gas_Tank_Installed.jpg

I also bought a new pump and sender unit, and installed that today as well. The original was still working fine, but I figured it was close to death after 335k miles, and it would be easy to replace while the tank was out. It's an Airtex unit, so I am keeping the original parts around in case this one craps out.

New_Fuel_Pump.jpg

Lastly, I also replaced the fuel filter with a new Wix unit, and also ordered a replacement filter bracket from Team Cherokee since the old one was held up with a zip-tie.

New_Fuel_Filter.jpg

After all that, of course, the starter decided to take a shit and now the Jeep is sitting dead in my dad's driveway until I get another payday. But I feel good about the work I got done.

Last edited:
wow great job!

Lots of stuff done lately.

In order to be trail worthy, I added some modular front recovery stuff with Hi-Country tow-hook brackets and some class-III receiver stock (write-up here), which will let me interchange shackles, skid-plates, tow-bars, etc.

Front_Recovery_With_Shackles.sized.jpg

I also installed a Hidden Hitch in the rear. The beater had a factory tow package but the OEM hitch was rusted and busted. I was able to reuse the nut strips, but that was all.

Installed_With_Shackle.sized.jpg

For wiring I used a Hopkins 7-4 multi adapter, and an angled attachmeent box from etrailer. Since the Jeep already had the factory tow package, it had the seven wire harness already, so I was able to wire it up straight.

Hopkins_47185_and_Box.sized.jpg

I found a good Kidde fire extinguisher at Wally World, and a Kidde VB-5 mounting bracket online, and put them under the rear bench on the driver's side:

Fire_Extinguisher.sized.jpg

Other work includes new starter solenoid, new NSS, and new O2 sensor.

I have bought the paint and have found a place where I can spray it, and just have to do some more body prep work.

ehall said:
I also bought a new pump and sender unit, and installed that today as well. The original was still working fine, but I figured it was close to death after 335k miles, and it would be easy to replace while the tank was out. It's an Airtex unit, so I am keeping the original parts around in case this one craps out.
The sender worked well but the pump was really noisy, and the Jeep also had a rougher idle than before. I was going to move the old pump back on, but everything on the Airtex unit was a little different (electrical connectors were screws instead of spades, filter sock was oval instead of round, etc), and the pump attachment was bent pretty bad. Overall the Airtex unit was basically junk, so I adjusted the original sender and reinstalled the whole assembly. FYI to anybody thinking about swapping--get the dealer parts instead.

Oh I had to run the tank down to do all this, so I filled it back to the same level (just to where it splashed out). With a mix of in-town and highway driving (probably 60/40 or 70/30 split), I am at 15.9 MPG, which is not so great but not as bad as I feared.

You are right the Airtex unit is noisey. We pulled my tank to do the swap. After putting it all back together, the gas gauge doesn't read right. Maybe the dash, probably the pump. My sending unit housing had the soldered lines busted so the tank leaked and I had to replace it. Mine seems to run pretty good, netting 21 MPG. I really can't complain and the pump was cheap at $100.

It's easy to get the float tripped up. Also the airtex sender isn't adjustable like the stock sender--if you want to tweak it you have to bend the arm, which isn't really a problem but it's not as precise.

The things I dislike about the airtex assembly:

--pump uses different connectors making replacement slower as I have to order special and await delivery

--sock filter boot has small ridges so the sock filter falls off real easy (I had to stick my arm in the hole and fish around for it every time I removed the assembly)

--the little cone foot fell off on it's own accord too

--fuel pressure was inconsistent producing uneven RPM at idle and load

--pump is loud

Overall the whole unit is just not up to par. It's not built the same as the OEM assembly, and the design changes have yielded lower quality instead of higher quality.

OverlandXJ said:
Hadnt seen this thread before....nice resto you have going!

When you had the fuel tank out it would have been the perfect opportunity for Go-Jeep's mod adding 5gal. http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoFuelTank.htm
I tried but couldn't get my forearms far enough through the hole to reach.

The replacement tank has a short and high burp tube already and holds a full 20+ gallons without modification, so I didn't think the potential difference was worth getting all aggressive with it.

Back