• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Let's talk speakers

BALTANAKT

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone,

As is the case with many XJ's, my speakers were blown out.

Installed Pioneer TS-A1675R 5-1/4" 3-Way's in the rear. They sound great but don't have much bass.

I also have some of the same model 6-1/2" 3-Way's, which I was going to put up front, but I am having second thoughts now. Will these deliver any bass?

Should I go with something else up front for better bass?

Let me note I am not interested in a sub.

I just swapped in a set of Rockford Fosgate 6.5s up front in place of the stock 5.25s. Definitely don't have the punch that a sub will offer, but they sound a lot fuller. There's actually a detectable bass response where there was nothing before.

It isn't going to shake the house down, but the larger speakers do sound better all around.

Hey everyone,

As is the case with many XJ's, my speakers were blown out.

Installed Pioneer TS-A1675R 5-1/4" 3-Way's in the rear. They sound great but don't have much bass.

I also have some of the same model 6-1/2" 3-Way's, which I was going to put up front, but I am having second thoughts now. Will these deliver any bass?

Should I go with something else up front for better bass?

Let me note I am not interested in a sub.

Like the others said, you're going to need to add a sub for any bass response. If you're looking to fill out your audio with some quality lows then install one of these under your front passenger seat. Cheap, easy install.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...beb-4819111bef9a&pf_rd_r=FKGAWNGGYBNKTV2D21RX

If you're looking to rattle windows then you'll need to go in a different direction.

I'm not a "big" sound person, but quite while back I did buy something I like. A relatively small amp(already had 4 Polk's in the doors and overhead console) and a woofer pod. I got everything installed in a clean manner so it doesn't take up much space.
P1080141.jpg

P1080140.jpg

P1080139.jpg

P1080138.jpg

My zj has the factory infinity sound system with the amp. I'm sure it's pretty weak by todays standards, but it's clarity and sound is way better thanks the woman's xj. I bet just a decent amp to power the speakers would get you closer to what you want. I'm not big on huge bass but the quality of the sound is pretty good with some extra power for the speakers.even on my 92 xj I had upgraded speakers and the sound was never really great.

I just swapped in a set of Rockford Fosgate 6.5s up front in place of the stock 5.25s. Definitely don't have the punch that a sub will offer, but they sound a lot fuller. There's actually a detectable bass response where there was nothing before.

It isn't going to shake the house down, but the larger speakers do sound better all around.

Any pics of your 6.5"s?

Here's the passenger side compared to the stock speaker. I did have to trim the door a little bit for it to sit right, but I know some speakers fit without that
7567a801cd529b8e951c4061fda7a8f8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

That was quick! Thanks.

I was curious what you did with the door panel?
Ha, yeah, I had the pic already from when I did the swap. Didn't do anything to the door panel, it still fits in place over top the new speaker. I didn't want to cut it up, so I just kept the stock speaker grille in place

I'm not a "big" sound person, but quite while back I did buy something I like. A relatively small amp(already had 4 Polk's in the doors and overhead console) and a woofer pod. I got everything installed in a clean manner so it doesn't take up much space.

Any cutting involved? Not trying to cut up this XJ.

RCP I love the hinge idea on the amp.

On installing 6.5" in the doors.
Do you have power windows or manual?

The reason I ask is I have a really nice set of 6.5's here, but with manual window cranks your crank will hit the speaker grill.

I've got power windows on both 2k's.

DustyWaggoneer, I didn't think about the crank hitting the speaker. I've got manual windows, but mine is a 2 door, so I've gotten an extra foot of real estate to work with

This is the reason I asked about the door panel.
Below is a 4" speaker grille but I also have 5.25 and 6.5 speakers which would require me to do something else with the window crank.

I'm considering aftermarket power with the crank-switch. IOWs the crank remains but is used as a switch, not a crank, push down or lift up for window movement.

I have a two door as well.
Mine is a 93, but the 5 1/4 speaker holes are in the very same place as a four door.
I did a lot of thought on placement of my speakers in the XJ, and realistically the only place for them is exactly where they are from the factory. If you put them farther back the window will hit them when rolled down.

The other problem is that the window regulator (Manual windows) track hose runs right up against the hole for the 5 1/4" speakers.
You can always do some kind of build out to fit larger speakers in there, but ideally you want them to be forward, and not firing in to your side or behind you (well that's if your looking for any kind of fidelity).

This is the reason I asked about the door panel.
Below is a 4" speaker grille but I also have 5.25 and 6.5 speakers which would require me to do something else with the window crank.

I'm considering aftermarket power with the crank-switch. IOWs the crank remains but is used as a switch, not a crank, push down or lift up for window movement.

That would be ideal!
If you go that route please post up your install, as I am thinking about this too?

Right now I am sticking with 5/14" coaxial speakers in the front, and going with a 6 1/2" component system in the rear hatch.
I also lined the inside of my doors with Frostking duct insulation, and bought a pair of the foam baffles for the 5 1/4" speakers to help mainly shield the speakers from the elements.
If you put speakers in your doors you have to do something to get rid of the "tin can" resonance that they have.

Like everybody else has stated, if you want lower frequency's you d need some kind of sub in there.

Last edited:
I've got an XJ and an MJ, it's the MJ that I'm working on.

I cut out the B-pillar for 6x9 and I'm using the boom mat front and rear.

I'll likely use the 4" in front, glass-fill the existing panel grill and surface mount the speaker, that will bring the speaker out of the door at least an inch........may go with the 5.25 the same way, haven't decided yet. If I go with the 5.25 I'll need to glass around the outside of the hole, create a new contour, in either case I want carpet to cover the bottom of the panel and vinyl on top to make the panel look older than it is, reference the earlier (80s) panel. The carpet will cover any of the reworking of the panel.

Back