• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.7's and a AW4

RCP Phx
Do you have other gears, just no 1st and reverse? Have to checked the fluid level? Maybe add another quart?

All the gears actually do work, it just takes major rpm's to get going.

The Jeep was bought brand new and only has 76k on it. It was working perfect before I tore it down last Friday!

I didn't touch the "cut-back" valve and the assembly went good with everything including the fluids levels the way they've been for 18yrs!

Had same problem with kit in mine.Cure was to put old valve body gasket back in. Line pressures came back to normal,however reverse was still weak.
Ended up with PnP trans.

We re-checked the gaskets last night, they are a perfect match!

All the gears actually do work, it just takes major rpm's to get going.

The Jeep was bought brand new and only has 76k on it. It was working perfect before I tore it down last Friday!

Dude, you screwed something up in the pr valve. Mine did the EXACT same thing.

Can you pull the parts out in order and take a pic?

The parts are out and look exactly like the pics in the instructions! We've gone over every gasket, check balls, and accounted every spring!

We took pics as we dis-assembled, but their on another phone.
P1080539_zpshnah5kjs.jpg

Lower gasket - old on top of new...
P1080540_zpsflvrumeq.jpg

Lower gasket - new on top of old...
P1080541_zpszctflayv.jpg

Upper gasket - old on top of new...
P1080542_zpsyb3o9uau.jpg

Upper gasket - new on top of old...
P1080543_zps6ifmvl1e.jpg

Well I talked to Transgo again this morning. We spoke of a lot of things but came back to the PR piston getting hung/stuck. The edges were razor sharp so I have knocked those edges off and will try again!

I just did my TransGo kit today (minus 1st gear hold). All I've done so far was fill with fluid and started the engine to cycle between P, R, N, D. Seems to all be working. I have no TCM and I'm gonna be using a rail shifter which I haven't wired in yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed I have all forward gears.

Hopefully your works out of the box, I'm tired of staring at this with not a lot of ideas. The PRV went in a lot smoother so maybe that will do it. I went 1/2 way between "truck and Hot rod". I did ask about re-installing the factory spring, they said it would work but kind of defeats what I set out to accomplish!

I probably won't get to till this weekend. With the use of only one arm I depend a lot on my son(35) to do the wrenching!

Well I got lucky and we got the VB and pan installed last night. Late this afternoon I will fill it and find out!

It lives! It's running good, I wished I had been more aggressive on the metering plate.

The studs really paid off in (re)installation time so my son really appreciated that.
P1080545_zpsm1bawt7x.jpg

This is just a guess, but when I removed the piston(which I didn't need to) it disturbed a "sweet spot" in where it has been running(rotationally). The edges were "Razor" sharp and I was having trouble when re-inserting it. This crude pic shows the 6 edges that I stuck in the drill press and de-burred with 600 grit. It went in smoothly after that!
e03b238d-3741-47e9-9591-6ff4db98be35_zpseg5l3m0y.jpg

Back