• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wet Jeep..won't run

rpraterxj

NAXJA Forum User
OK, here's the short story about me flooding the Jeep yesterday.

I was playing in the mud down at Holy Jim/Trabuco Creek. Things were going great. We were splashing through the mud, then we came across a favorite spot for 3 large puddles. I had ran through these before with no problem, so I went for it. The first hole was fun. Unfortunately, I had too much speed going into the second hole and hit the water HARD! The 2nd and 3rd puddles had joined together creating a HUGE water hole. The Jeep stopped and the engine died. Luckily, there were several trucks out playing around and there a couple of guys that had the exact same thing happen to them. They were already wet and muddy so they offered to wade in the water and hook up my brand new tow strap. A guy in a 2 wheel drive truck pulled me as far as he could. This got me to the edge of the water hole, but out. We sat there for about 10 minutes before a guy in brand new Jeep Rubicon pulled up, attached the strap and pulled me all the way back tot he start of trail.

I called AAA for a tow, I was told it would be at least 2 hours before they could be there and it would cost at least $100. I called Odette and she gat the Tahoe and rented a car dolly from U-Haul ($50, including hitch ball). She came down and rescued us. We got the Jeep home, I removed the plugs and spun the engine. About a gallon of water poured out of the spark plug holes.

I ran the battery down spinning it over and running the hazard lights. So, tonight I will be changing the oil & filter, installing new spark plugs, and installing a new battery. Hopefully it will crank right up.
:repair:
I have a picture (camera phone) but I don't know how to paste it here.

Thanks for laughing!

Robert

UPDATE - It's running!!!

Well, I was able to drain the oil/water, change the plugs, and install a new battery (Gel, Sealed). Turned the key, and after about 6 spins, she cranked! It was a little rough and a good bit of white smoke. I drove it around in the driveway and things were fine, so I took it around the block. It drove fine, just shifts differently, engine light is on, and sometimes it splutters. Got home, and checked the oil and there was still water, so I changed it again. No water in the oil, idels and runs good, with occassional spluttering.

I will take it to the dealer tomorrow to pull codes and check all of the sensors.

Thanks for listening,

Robert

Got it back from the dealer today. Boy, have I learned something. Deep water, no snorkel, to much speed = bad things to Jeep.

They had to replace my TPS and idle speed motor (whatever?) = 2 days and $600. :hang:

Well, I am ready to go wheelin.....

Robert

:repair:

Back