• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

Filled the LJ up yesterday. Hadn't put fuel in it since Moab. Had less than 1/4 tank and put 14 gallons in...I had 47 miles on the tank...

Drove it 60 miles yesterday, almost all hwy at 55-60 mph...used less than 1/4 tank...

mac 'didn't buy it for the mileage' gyvr

Oh yeah

car seats ZJ > XJ > LJ

mac 'car seat in LJ is like a jungle gym' gyvr

Back to the van again. Put a good battery in it (it is used, but correct size unlike the bad one). It ran from my moms house to my house (1/2 mile) and when I was leaving my house, I put it in reverse and it died. I was able to get it into a neighbors drive. It ran okay in park and neutral, but not in forward or reverse. I am now thinking it is a fuel issue (hopefully a filter or moisture in gas).

What have you done to test the alternator? Ockham's razor usually applies 9 times out of ten in dealing with a vehicle. The hypothesis with the least assumption is correct. Right now you have a vehicle that runs well on a new battery and gets worse as you drive it until it doesn't. The alternator bears testing and you can do it yourself with a voltmeter.

Diagnosis is a product of logical elimination....elimination of functioning systems is half the work. If you want it running sooner than later take it to someone, I'm serious. If you can't afford it find a shade tree guy you trust....i only charge friends and family 25 an hour for major work and diagnostic. The time and resources to get good at it are not free, so as much as I'd like to I can't do it for free

When I had my TJ I had Case's car seat in the back, I fell out of that damn thing and broke the passenger seat tilt lever off in my hip...still have the scar too. Between that and tearing the belt loop off every pair of my jeans from hopping up in that thing and catching my belt loop on the door striker...I was done.

Cheese "kind of miss it at times though" Man

The time and resources to get good at it are not free, so as much as I'd like to I can't do it for free

this is soo true on many levels....everyone used to come to the shop for the hang out spot and do a few odd ball jobs, then it was hey, lets build custom bumpers if they supply the steel....no one ever thinks of the time and money involved in owning a completly supplied shop, the electricity to run it, the propane to heat it, the thousands of dollars I have in tools, my time away from my family, and importantly the mass amounts of free cheese and beer they were putting down. Needless to say, I dont have the loafers around the shop that I once had, but that really does not bother me now a days. I will still help a friend out or take on special projects, but there is a cost involved in one way, shape or form usually. We all seem to work well with the barter system....and some of them need to work a bit more on the BYOB system!

Cheese "nothings free in this world" Man

I know a free shade tree mechanics and tried to get them to come over and non ever did until last weekend. It didn't run, so it couldn't go anywhere. I put my battery from my Jeep in because it looked the same size. When it did the same thing, I didn't think it was the battery. Come to find out, the previous owner or the salvage yard it was bought from put the wrong size in it. It has the right size now. I also thought since my good battery did the same thing, it wasn't the battery. Once it gets running, I have talked to my fiance about possibly buying a better vehicle (this one is not great, but okay) and selling the van (Sarah and I get the money from the van).

Well. Sounds like nick86 is going to go drive my jeep and put fuel in it at some point. After much begging I finally got sis to start it, so at least I know it still runs.

She said they are starting work on the barn next week. Redo bathroom, knock down walls, put in stairs to hay loft, take out milk tank, and build me a parts room and counter.

I go to Dan's and drink his beer, eat his pizza, etc. No complaints yet. :dunno:

Last edited:
Take it to a mechanic.

X2

If you can't diagnose a no start because of a bad battery you are already in WAY over your head.

What have you done to test the alternator? Ockham's razor usually applies 9 times out of ten in dealing with a vehicle. The hypothesis with the least assumption is correct. Right now you have a vehicle that runs well on a new battery and gets worse as you drive it until it doesn't. The alternator bears testing and you can do it yourself with a voltmeter.

Diagnosis is a product of logical elimination....elimination of functioning systems is half the work. If you want it running sooner than later take it to someone, I'm serious. If you can't afford it find a shade tree guy you trust....i only charge friends and family 25 an hour for major work and diagnostic. The time and resources to get good at it are not free, so as much as I'd like to I can't do it for free

It's like a broken damn record in here.

You seem like a fairly intelligent person TH, but your desire to buck people's advice is the reason you catch so much shit.

Either spend the next day on the internet learning how an automotive charging system works or stop asking for advice. It's annoying when you don't listen.

I know a free shade tree mechanics and tried to get them to come over and non ever did until last weekend. It didn't run, so it couldn't go anywhere. I put my battery from my Jeep in because it looked the same size. When it did the same thing, I didn't think it was the battery. Come to find out, the previous owner or the salvage yard it was bought from put the wrong size in it. It has the right size now. I also thought since my good battery did the same thing, it wasn't the battery. Once it gets running, I have talked to my fiance about possibly buying a better vehicle (this one is not great, but okay) and selling the van (Sarah and I get the money from the van).

If you're not paying them they won't come, it doesnt have to be money but everything costs something. If all you've done over all this time to diagnose a shutdown/no start is change batteries a few times nobody here can help you anymore. We're telling you how to do this and you're not listening and coming up with new theories.

Your thought of selling it come from frustration. That is step 10 if that's what you want to do, you are on step 1 which is figuring out why it's not functioning properly

this is soo true on many levels....everyone used to come to the shop for the hang out spot and do a few odd ball jobs, then it was hey, lets build custom bumpers if they supply the steel....no one ever thinks of the time and money involved in owning a completly supplied shop, the electricity to run it, the propane to heat it, the thousands of dollars I have in tools, my time away from my family, and importantly the mass amounts of free cheese and beer they were putting down. Needless to say, I dont have the loafers around the shop that I once had, but that really does not bother me now a days. I will still help a friend out or take on special projects, but there is a cost involved in one way, shape or form usually. We all seem to work well with the barter system....and some of them need to work a bit more on the BYOB system!

Cheese "nothings free in this world" Man

My neighbor used to come over and borrow tools and get advice all the time. I finaly told him I charge $50/hr, and he quit coming over.....

I keep a keg in the fridge in the garage for my friends. I don't even drink the beer in it. But the amount spent is worth the friends that come over and help me wrench on my projects.

Sometimes they pitch in for the keg, which is nice...

Sometimes we work on other peoples projects, sometimes they bring me whiskey.

There are only a select few anymore that borrow anything from me.

I don't know where I was going with all this except that I love my heated garage.

mac 'and my friends' gyvr

My neighbor used to come over and borrow tools and get advice all the time. I finaly told him I charge $50/hr, and he quit coming over.....

My neighbor borrows tools and gets all the advice he wants.... I keep his cars running and trailer welded together and he's been keeping my lawn mowed for 2 years

Barter win achieved

When I used to go to the river a lot I would layer the cooler with the good beer on the bottom and American Light on top to keep the cooler thieves at bay :D

That's the plan with the garage fridge in the new house.

I started buying busch light instead of bud light...

mac 'my whiskey is hands off' gyvr

My neighbor borrows tools and gets all the advice he wants.... I keep his cars running and trailer welded together and he's been keeping my lawn mowed for 2 years

Barter win achieved

Damn that is a killer deal, I hate mowing the lawn (even with a rider)

Damn that is a killer deal, I hate mowing the lawn (even with a rider)

If you saw Doug's yard you'd know why Doug is getting a better deal!

TH, I suggest you find a good mechanic and become friends with him. Hell, my mechanic was at the house eating Enchiladas the other day. When I show up to Brad's, I bring beer because i know at sometime he's gonna have to work on my Jeep. My mechanic gets food, beer, free Jeep parts, and when its a tough Job, $25/hr. We all know you're getting married and all but you can't expect everything to be free while you're saving money for that.

Last edited:
I will be wrenching this weekend, want to drink my beer Dylan?

I like the company, and Dylan is a good guy that can find anything on his phone in seconds.

Beer is cheap.

:cheers:

I like to bring at least a 12 pack anywhere im invited to:cheers:

I brought a 12 pack to john's brewfest couple years ago. after i drank one of my own, he told me to put them away.

I Brought mac a bottle of whiskey when i used his garage for the gears:D

I like to ask my brothers and a couple of my friends for help simply because i like the company when doing projects. i also want to help them as much as they help me.

SAM'would have to bring more than a 12pack to cheesemans'SET

Back