• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just moved from Colorado to Alabama, still looking to lift my 2000 Cherokee "Freedom"

XJF2000

NAXJA Forum User
Just moved from Colorado to Alabama, still looking to lift my 2000 Cherokee "Freedom"

Bought in 2008 towards the end of the year was in really good shape, few small leaks (front and rear diffs starting to leak a little, and another small leak on the t-case), rear leafs seem a little worn when there is anywhere around 100lbs in the trunk (30x9.50's) rub when turning.

I know for stock suspension the 30x9.50's are little on the big side but im wanting to lift around them i was looking at something like...

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Jeep/XJ/Product.aspx?part=RE6160

My question is i've heard that my model XJ, the 2000 Freedom (Sport) has a low-pinion front which may require a T-case spacer or possibly a Slip-Yoke eliminator but would only really need it on anything above a 2", is this true?

Is there anything else other then the kit from RE that i would need to purchase, or should be looking into? Would the add-a-leaf fix the small big of sag i seem to have?

Would like to note that when i tow a trailer i don't get that same rubbing of the tires that i get when there is weight in the trunk.

Re: Just moved from Colorado to Alabama, still looking to lift my 2000 Cherokee "Free

Also if i "DID" decide to go with a 3.5" lift would i need to do a T-case drop or anything of that nature?

Re: Just moved from Colorado to Alabama, still looking to lift my 2000 Cherokee "Free

Hey there, another Freedom owner!

FYI all 2000/01 XJs were low pinion front end, not just the Freedom.

If you don't really want a lot of lift and plan to haul/load a lot like I do you should look into some air adjustable shocks for the rear. When you load down the rear with more weight you can increase the pressure and level things out. I swear by em, but I bet others would take exception to them.

FYI they cost $70 for the pair and on a oem sagging rear end will fix the sag pretty good.

I also have a 200 freedom that had some sorry springs i did the ome 2 inch suspension kit all new front coils rear spring packs and shocks did not need a t-case drop m, i am really happy with it i went this way to get a good ride as it is my d/d and was money well spent

I don't haul alot, just used it to pull a tow-behind trailer for the move down to alabama, was just noting that there was no rubbing in the rear when towing but i notice rubbing when i have weight right above the rear axle (which made me think those leafs might be sagging a little).

As for air ride i don't have much personal experience with it. Just wondering if an add-a-leaf would help fix the leafs if they were starting to.

I would say get a hole new suspension if your going to do add-a-leafs... RC has a good kit. I had a used 3.5 inch RC kit on my cherokee and it didn't ride too bad... actually alot better then i had thought... just puttin it out there

i have that exact same RE lift on my XJ that you linked and i have 30's on it too. my jeep is also a 2000 sport.

l_c3b7629c81b140f0ae4a0cc365b52c9d.jpg

i didnt have to drop the xfer case or do an SYE but if i went any bigger i definitly would want to (i guess that really means WHEN i go bigger i definitly WILL).

after the lift and tires, i do have some vibrations, but its minimal and i live with it just fine.

my springs were saggingin the back like you described and when going over bumps with the cargo area loaded i ould rub the wells but the add-a-leafs definitly fixed that problem.

you can throw more money at complete new suspension if you want to, but this kit has been great for me so far. no complaints at all on the kit. just a little bit of vibration.

I have a 2000 cherokee sport with rough country 3" lift and 30" tires, and i tow a good size boat with it. Never had any slippage, but my leafs sagged so I bought 1.5" lifted shackles to compensate, otherwise i am very happy with it.

Rock Lizzard FTW!

http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/home_brew_budget_boost.htm

I helped a bud do the rear leafs on his 2000. He already had coil spacers and blocks, we ditched the blocks for two extra leafs. He also had 30s with aftermarket rims that had less offset to clear the control arms. He previously bought new shocks because he was towing. I'm thinking they were stock height or 1" taller than stock.

Like you he just wanted to load a bunch of gear and/or hook up a light trailer to go play. Trail rides and twisting out the suspension were not intended useages. He's even kept the rear sway bar.

A few weeks after the upgrade he loaded the Heep with people and gear to go snowboarding, still had positive arch on the springs. He is very happy with the results.

HTH

ALL_CATCH177.jpg

Another question I would like to ask is with a 2" lift would I need to buy sway bar quick-disconnects?

Another question I would like to ask is with a 2" lift would I need to buy sway bar quick-disconnects?

Most will say toss em... but if you wan't stability on road then go for the JKS. that is what i have and they work AWESOME.

you dont need to spend all that money on the JKS disco's. you can get rid of the rear sway bar, you dont need it. but i would leave your front on for DD. and if you want "quick disco's" then do a quick search for the do-it-yourself mod. its easy and a hell of a lot cheaper than the jks set up (although the jks ones are definitly nice!)

Roll Tide.
Have some catfish and hush puppies for me.

Back