• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what tire size to run on stock axles

2DOORDAN

NAXJA Forum User
hi to all the members new on here I've gotten great information and had helped out greatly now the question o have is im adding a few things and here is my rig and suspension I'd like to add for light to moderate wheelin
94 2 door xj 4.0
5 speed
adding a R.E 3.5 lift
looking for a suggestion on tire size
heard I'd lose some power and torque at 33s
any good 32 inch tire by brand that is recommended
thank you to all in advance

31's is probably as large as you want to go on stock gears. At 3.5" of lift, they fit right and look good. 32's or 33's will very likely rub and require trimming of sheetmetal and/or plastic bits.

Mud Terrain tires are loud on pavement and are crappy snow tires. All-Terrain tires will handle anything off-road except knee deep mud, and will last reasonably long with pavement driving.

Last edited:
I suggest 31" Firestone Destination XT. They're better than AT tires and nowhere near as loud as MTs. They just hit the market last year around July I think, so naturally I've had them for about a year. For a 3.5" lift they're an absolutely perfect fit.

What's the gear ratio?

Yeah, my MJ started on stock 215s, manual, and 3.07. It got 21-22 mpg on mostly highway. You had to downshift to 4th on steeper hills. I've since lifted about 5.5", 32s, and 4.11 axles from a 4-cyl and get 16-17 mpg.

I believe the 3.73 was only on the 4.0 auto with a tow package, and the real old 2.8 v6 Cherokees, which is where I recall grabbing my speedo gear. There are plenty of direct swap 4.11 axles out of 4-cylinders in the junkyard. Even more 3.55 out of the 4.0 autos.

Weird. Mine was a base model 2wd automatic and it didn't have a tow package. The ratio was 3.73 (C8.25) and the donor for the 4wd swap was nearly identical in every way except it was 4wd, no tow package and 3.73 gears.

I'd suggest no larger than 31/32. Also, consider finding a set of axles from a 4.0/auto XJ, which would be 3.55s , would keep you near stock gearing with larger tires.

http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

I'd get some 3.55 axles. Then should be good for 31's to 33's. 3.73 are a bit scarce for XJs. I have a set on one I am building. I nabbed the front from a ZJ. The rear is a Ford 8.8. I'll be on 30.5" tires. You want 1800-2000 RPM at 65 mph. Since OR, so Mountains, I'd gear up a bit. Might loose a bit of MPG.

Edit: mines an auto.

Last edited:
I put on Falken’s Wildpeak AT3W’s in 265/70/R17’s, with a RE 3.5” lift (3/4” front spacer as well), Dana 30, 8.25 rear. Love them! Great for highway driving, very quiet, looking forward to trying them on A trail. Reviews were great, and Walmart had them for a really good price delivered.

I do need to trim and bump stop though.

Most 285s will run about 32. Someone said mountains so 31 would be best

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Back