• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

VIN number starting with 4J4 i.o. 1J4

MattYankeeDC

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,
I have been owning a 92 XJ for 8 months now and even if I have planned a few works to do on it, it is a great fun to drive it and I do not regret my lost bucks.
Well, I have a VIN starting with 4J4, which seem not to be common as I have never read anything else than 1J4 in any forum. Even in France (my XJ is not an imported model) we only read 1J4.
Do you have any idea of this difference? It seems that 1 is for Jeep and 4 for AMC.
Have a good day,
Matt

Hi Cruiser54,

Thank you for your link. I already checked my VIN and got some pieces of information. Maybe I was wrong in my previous post, but what I wonder about is why my XJ starts with a 4 i.o. 1. I have never heard about anybody having a VIN starting with a 4.

There is certainly a difference btwn 1 and 4, even if this difference is very small.

Then, it is not a big issue for me, just a small wondering and if I cannot get the answer, that is fine anyway...

Have a good day,

Matt

4 is still North America. Perhaps it was assembled here as an incomplete vehicle and shipped to Europe for drivetrain installation?

Or built here with overseae parts?

I know when Chrysler and Mitsubishi has Diamond Star Motors, which built the Eagle Talon and Plymouth Laser here, the VIN started with 4.

Do you have a diesel?

Hi guys, and thanks for your replies.
I think that the 4 does refer to Eagle. I do not where I noticed that for the first time, somewhere on board my vehicle...
No, it is a gasoline model 1992 4.0 HO Limited.
Have a good day

Hello, even if the post is outdated, I think I should note here that me too, I have a 4J4 VIN Jeep Cherokee.
If someone is interested in the matter, I mention that what I know about my XJ with the VIN starting with 4J4, is:
- made in the USA, in the plant from Auburn Hills, Michigan, as a complete car, not as an incomplete one ([FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]800 Chrysler Dr., Auburn Hills MI 48326-2757)[/FONT];
- the engine is 3989 cubic centimeters;
- the power is 261 KW (roughly 350 HP);
- year of manufacture: 1992;
- LTD trim;
- 4 gears automatic with partial 4x4.

Well, 261 KW is written in the car papers and translating into HP, that's around 350 HP. And on the road as well as in rough terrain, is extremely easy to feel that the power is way over the 180-200 HP that the other XJ's I drove, have...

Recently, I needed to buy the tranny oil filter and some other such maintenance spares. In order to do so, I had to provide the VIN to the sellers and all of them, without exception, told me that the VIN doesn't matches any Jeep recordings and must be mistaken, therefore I had a rough time finding what I needed (eventually I solved the problem).
Of course, I checked the car's papers, as well as the labels containing the VIN, from the car itself and it turned out that the VIN is correct.
Of course, I tried to find out something about my car (I own it since 2005, when I bought it from an American Army officer, who was in Romania, with the NATO troops and came here from Germany, fact that made me think that the car was manufactured in the UK or Austria, since I know that some Jeeps were assembled in Europe).
Eventually, I called the guys from Jeep US and asked them for details about my car and they directed me to [FONT=&quot][email protected].

After a long exchange of Emails with them, I received the following chart:

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]4J4[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]FJB8S[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]1[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]N[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]L[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]160055[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Manufacturer: Chrysler Group LLC
Manufacturer Address: 800 Chrysler Dr. Auburn Hills MI 48326-2757
Product Type: MPV
Make: Jeep
Model: Cherokee M - limited order for the US Army
Body: Sport Utility Vehicle (SUV)
Drive: 4x4 - Four-wheel drive
Number of Seats: 5
Number of Doors: 5
Fuel Type - Primary: Gasoline
Engine Displacement (ccm): 3989 Power Tech Engine
Engine Power (kW/rpm): 261/5450
Engine Cylinders: 6
Transmission: Automatic
Number of Gears: 4
Check Digit: 1
Model Year: 1992
Plant Country: United States
Sequential Number: 160055

So, to answer your questions: no, is not a cop Jeep but an Army one. Yes, it has a Magnuson supercharger, which can be activated/deactivated from a button on the dashboard (positioned by the tranny button)

[/FONT]

I'd add that it baffled me that the car has a 3989 cc Power Tech engine, since I had no idea that Power Tech made engines for the Jeeps in 1992! I knew that the XJ engines were AMC and none of them was 3989 cc...

I'd add that it baffled me that the car has a 3989 cc Power Tech engine, since I had no idea that Power Tech made engines for the Jeeps in 1992! I knew that the XJ engines were AMC and none of them was 3989 cc...

They are 3989cc. 1 liter is 1000cc. 3989cc=3.989L

Recently, I needed to buy the tranny oil filter and some other such maintenance spares. In order to do so, I had to provide the VIN to the sellers and all of them, without exception, told me that the VIN doesn't matches any Jeep recordings and must be mistaken, therefore I had a rough time finding what I needed (eventually I solved the problem).
Of course, I checked the car's papers, as well as the labels containing the VIN, from the car itself and it turned out that the VIN is correct.
Of course, I tried to find out something about my car (I own it since 2005, when I bought it from an American Army officer, who was in Romania, with the NATO troops and came here from Germany, fact that made me think that the car was manufactured in the UK or Austria, since I know that some Jeeps were assembled in Europe).
Eventually, I called the guys from Jeep US and asked them for details about my car and they directed me to [FONT=&quot][email protected].

After a long exchange of Emails with them, I received the following chart:

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]4J4[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]FJB8S[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]1[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]N[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]L[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]160055[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Manufacturer: Chrysler Group LLC
Manufacturer Address: 800 Chrysler Dr. Auburn Hills MI 48326-2757
Product Type: MPV
Make: Jeep
Model: Cherokee M - limited order for the US Army
Body: Sport Utility Vehicle (SUV)
Drive: 4x4 - Four-wheel drive
Number of Seats: 5
Number of Doors: 5
Fuel Type - Primary: Gasoline
Engine Displacement (ccm): 3989 Power Tech Engine
Engine Power (kW/rpm): 261/5450
Engine Cylinders: 6
Transmission: Automatic
Number of Gears: 4
Check Digit: 1
Model Year: 1992
Plant Country: United States
Sequential Number: 160055

So, to answer your questions: no, is not a cop Jeep but an Army one. Yes, it has a Magnuson supercharger, which can be activated/deactivated from a button on the dashboard (positioned by the tranny button)

[/FONT]

This sounds pretty cool.

Any chance you can post some pictures of it? Especially of the supercharger setup.

Folks here could probably let you know what is common to the average XJ that we know, and what elements of yours are special.

+3 I’m curious about a 4.0 supercharger and if you’ve got a expert like Cruiser 54 curious you got to have something interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back